Undergraduate students attending University of Lynchburg who seek dietary accommodations must qualify in keeping with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA). The Accessibility and Disability Resources Coordinator is responsible for evaluating whether to grant or deny request for reasonable accommodations in College Dining Services. The College Dietary Plan Reasonable Accommodation Policy (see numbered list below) is provided to assist students considering a dietary accommodation.
To be considered for a College Dietary Plan, a student must complete the steps below on an annual basis. University of Lynchburg will accept and consider requests for reasonable accommodation of the College Meal Plan at any time. The individual making the request for accommodation should complete and provide the Disability Accommodations Request Form for College Dietary Plan to Disability Services as soon as practicably possible before moving into College housing. However, if the request for accommodation is made fewer than 30 days before the individual intends to move into College housing, University of Lynchburg cannot guarantee that it will be able to meet the individual’s accommodation needs in a timely manner, but will make reasonable efforts to fulfill reasonable requests.
Apply annually for Dietary Accommodations through the Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources
If you have not previously been approved for Dietary Accommodations:
- Review the Dietary Reasonable Accommodation Policy (PDF).
- Complete the Disability Accommodations Request Form for College Dietary Plan.
- Complete the Reasonable Accommodation Verification Form for College Dietary Plan, available from the DSC. This form is to be provided to a qualified third party who can verify the disability and necessary accommodations for the student to use and enjoy College Dining Services. Other forms of documentation (e.g. diagnostic testing, letter, medical records) will be accepted, but additional necessary information not provided may be required.
- Participate in an appointment with the Accessibility and Disability Resources Coordinator to review documentation and consider the accommodation request.
- Participate in an interactive process with the DSC, Dining Services and other individuals as necessary to develop an Individual Dietary Plan.
If you have previously been approved for Dietary Accommodations:
- If necessary, provide any additional documentation requested by the Accessibility and Disability Resources Coordinator to support continuing or updating an existing Individual Dietary Plan.
- Schedule and participate in an appointment with the Accessibility and Disability Resources Coordinator to review and consider renewal of your Individual Dietary Plan and other related accommodations (housing) as necessary. Appointments should be planned in a timely fashion in advance of the end of the Spring Semester each year to assure completion of the application process.
The Accessibility and Disability Resources Coordinator, in consultation with College Dining Services, the College Dietician, the University of Lynchburg Health and Counseling Center, the Office of Residence Life (“Residence Life”), and the Dean of Students Office, as necessary, will determine whether the requested accommodation is necessary and reasonable for the student to have an equal opportunity to use and enjoy College dining services.
Approved Dietary Accommodation
Individual Dietary Plan
If an accommodation is approved, the student will participate in an interactive process with the Accessibility and Disability Resources Coordinator, Dining Services and as necessary the College Dietician to develop an Individual Dietary Plan. The Coordinator will:
- Schedule an appointment with the student to review documentation, go over specific disability information and concerns, explain policy and discuss individual needs.
- Schedule an appointment with the student, Disability Services, and Dining Services to review individual dietary needs and develop an Individual Dietary Plan (IDP).
- Schedule an appointment with the student within seven (7) business days of the individual planning meeting to review, edit as necessary and approve the IDP for the student.
- Provide a copy of the approved IDP to the student and Dining Services within seven (7) business days of the appointment.
Note: The Coordinator and Dining Services will continue to engage with the student regarding ongoing dietary needs as requested by the student, and update the Individual Dietary Plan with any changes.
Notification of Accommodation
If an accommodation is approved, the Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources will provide a completed copy of the Dietary Accommodation Form, Approved to College Dining Services, the College Dietician, and the Business office within seven (7) business days of its determination of accommodation.
The Individual Dietary Plan must be renewed annually. If a currently enrolled student wishes to renew dietary accommodations for the next school year, they must complete steps in 1 (a-d) above prior to the end of the previous school year in order for any changes to be reflected in the billing process. Students who are not approved by this deadline will be billed a standard meal plan. Changes to this meal plan/billing will be implemented at the time of approval and are not retroactive.
Denial of Dietary Accommodations
If a student is found ineligible for Dietary Accommodations, the Dietary Accommodations, Denied form is distributed to Dining Services, the College Dietician, the University of Lynchburg Health and Counseling Center, the Office of Residence Life (“Residence Life”), and the Business Office.
Students who are found not eligible for dietary accommodations will be billed for a standard meal plan. Students who wish to appeal the decision may do so following the procedure described in the College Dietary Plan Reasonable Accommodation Policy.
Julia R. Timmons
Accessibility and Disability Resources Coordinator
1501 Lakeside Drive
Lynchburg, VA 24501
434.544.8687 or 434.544.8339