December 17, 2018 – January 18, 2019
For a list of classes, go to: Course Offerings
Before You Begin Class
- Admission: Admission to the University is required. Visiting students should apply using the non-degree application and must submit approval and verification of good standing from their home colleges.
- Registration: Register online at myLynchburg or submit registration forms to the Office of the Registrar.
- Tuition payments: Payment for tuition should be processed concurrent with your course registration for any registration on or after November 9, 2018.
- Housing accommodations: Housing for students participating in a campus-based January Term course is open until 5:00PM on Tuesday, December 18, 2018. It will then reopen at 10:00am on Wednesday, January 2, 2019. If you are planning to stay in your campus residence, you will need to complete two requests through myLynchburg. One will indicate “Staying Late” on Tuesday, December 18, 2018 and one will indicate “Arriving Early” on Wednesday, January 2, 2019. You will be responsible for the charges associated with housing for J-Term.
The first meeting of each class will be on the same day as final registration. In some cases, registration may cause students to be late to the first class meeting. All classes will meet for the full period on the first day.
- Each 3-credit hour course should equal 37.5 contact hours. Each instructor will clearly explain the attendance policy for the course. The director of Academic Advising will be notified in cases of two successive unexplained absences. Final examinations will be held on the last day of class and at the discretion of the instructor.
- Classes offered in a 2-week J Term will average 4 hours of instruction each day Monday through Friday.
- Classes will meet at the times and places indicated in the online course schedule.
ID Cards and Computer Accounts
All students are eligible to obtain student identification cards. Use of certain campus facilities and access to email accounts are limited to students who have this identification. Call the College Information Center at 434.544.8100 for further information.
Textbook Purchases and Refunds
Course materials for the J Term session may be purchased new, used or rented online at myLynchburg; click on “buy textbooks” in the left menu bar. Rented books for J term must be returned to the campus store by the first day of spring semester class January 21.
All online textbook purchases will be charged to a College Account which can be paid online with a credit card at www.lynchburg.edu/payments ((pick college account). Check your account prior to ordering to avoid delays (order with account holds will not be processed). To check your account balance, log on to myLynchburg, Studentsonline, Billing and Financial aid, college account detail.
Please order your J Term textbooks at myLynchburg. Textbooks for online classes will be shipped to the address indicated unless you state that you want to pick your books up in the Campus Store (this will save you the shipping charge). Orders require 24 hours to process during the business week. The Campus Store will be closed December 22 through January 1.
If you have an Lynchburg Personal Identification Number (PIN) and have registered for a course, you may view your schedules and required course materials:
- Go to mylc.lynchburg.edu.
- Enter your network username and password.
- Click on “Buy Textbooks” link in the upper left portion of the screen (this does not indicate a purchase — it only allows the information to show).
- Select the term you wish to view.
Refunds for textbooks are made during the first week the class meets if you have dropped the class and purchased from the Campus Store. No refunds will be given for textbooks after this time. Dates to sell used textbooks for cash in the Campus Store, are during end of semester exams or the first 2 days of spring semester. An online site will to sell used books will be available on the Campus Store homepage www.lynchburg.edu/student-life/campus-store. You do not have to purchase books from the Campus Store to sell them used. All used books purchased from any source will be purchased if needed.
Want to charge on campus? Open a charge or declining balance account online. The College Account may be used on campus at the following locations: Campus Store, campus post office, Westover Room, the dining hall, Domino’s, and Brewed Awakenings in Elliot & Rosel Schewel Hall. Hours for each of these locations may vary during the J Term session. Your Lynchburg ID is required to purchase on account. You do not need to open an account to purchase textbooks at myLynchburg; however, you are restricted to online purchase for textbooks if an account is not open.
Registration fees are:
- $75 annual registration for full-time non-resident (commuting) first year and all sophomore, junior, and senior students
- $25 annual registration for part-time and graduate students
- $10 registration for commuting, part-time, and graduate students registering a second vehicle.
- A fee of $20 will be assessed for the issuance of a temporary registration (2-30 days) for full-time non-resident (commuting) first year and all sophomore, junior, and senior students.
- $300 annual registration for approved first year students.
For additional information, see: Safety & Security.
Students who expect to complete degree requirements during the J Term must advise the Registrar’s Office (Application for BA/BS degree required) or the Office of the Provost of Continuing and Graduate Studies of their intention.
The official date for granting degrees in January is January 18, 2019, even though courses may be completed prior to that date.
To qualify for January graduation, all courses must be completed, and in the case of transfer credit, transcripts must be received by January 18. Formal graduation exercises are not held in January. Candidates may participate and be recognized in graduation exercises on May 18, 2019. Students whose programs are completed after January 18, 2019, will be included as candidates for graduation in May 2019.
Grades and Transcripts
Grade reports for J Term are available to students online at www.lynchburg.edu/studentsonline after January 19.
Academic Record transcripts are usually not available until January 25.
Students who wish to have transcripts sent elsewhere should make such requests in the Registrar’s Office at least two weeks before the transcript is needed. A $3 fee is charged for each transcript requested.
All general regulations of the University governing conduct on the campus and all academic rules and requirements concerning class attendance, grades and credits, examinations, and scholarships are in full effect for the J Term. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 provides for the confidentiality of students’ educational records. For specific information, consult the undergraduate or graduate catalogs and The Hornet student handbook.
All enrolled students are bound to honor high standards of conduct and to maintain the spirit of honor and integrity. The Honor Code (see The Hornet student handbook) is in effect during the J Term session with the usual sanction for a violation as suspension from the College. Any student who observes a possible violation is expected to contact the professor or the Office of the Dean of Students.
Questions or Concerns
Contact the Office of Enrollment Services for information about admission. For information about graduate-level courses, visit the Graduate Studies web site: www.lynchburg.edu/graduatestudies.
If you need additional information, contact the office of the Associate Provost for Academic Affairs at or 434.544.8695.