The goal of the DMSc program is to develop a diverse group of doctorate trained PAs who will practice throughout the United States and internationally both clinically and in leadership positions in the public and private sector and advance the PA profession.
This goal is achieved by advanced training beyond the master’s degree in three content areas:
Advanced Clinical Practice
Develop PAs with an advanced level of competence and confidence in a specialized area of medicine to practice at the highest level of their license.
Equip PAs with advanced skills to become visionary healthcare leaders in their local and global healthcare communities.
Broaden the scope and depth of competence in scholarship to promote self-directed, goal-focused, lifelong learners and scholar-practitioners.
Student Learning Outcomes – Advanced Professional Practice
Upon completion of the Lynchburg DMSc Advanced Professional Practice program, graduates will be able to
- Apply advanced and specialized medical knowledge with an emphasis structured beyond general practice by training within fellowship/practicum competencies on:
- Medical knowledge
- Patient care
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- System-based learning
- Practice-based learning and improvement
- Analyze skills needed to provide leadership at local and global healthcare institutions
- Design, develop, and execute projects that improve patient outcomes
- Develop professional medical writing skills to advance the PA profession
Student Learning Outcomes – Emergency Management and Global Health Concentration
Upon completion of the Lynchburg DMSc – Emergency Management and Global Health Concentration, graduates will be able to:
- Apply advanced and specialized knowledge with an emphasis structured beyond general practice to include disaster and global health competencies in
- Survival in austere and remote locations
- Response to natural, industrial, and intentional disasters
- Global health medical care
- Emergency management
- Provide leadership and management at local and international disaster settings
- Design, develop, and execute projects that improve patient outcomes in austere and remote locations
- Develop professional medical writing skills
Student Learning Outcomes – PA Education Concentration
Upon completion of the Lynchburg DMSc PA Education Concentration, graduates will be able to
- Apply learning-theory and the medical education literature to advance student learning and improve program effectiveness by training within fellowship competencies on:
- Student Centeredness
- Professionalism and Role Modeling
- Program and Curriculum Design and Implementation
- Program Evaluation
- Design, develop, and execute projects that improve student learning outcomes, program curriculum or operations, and accreditation compliance or program self-assessment.
- Develop professional medical writing skills to advance the PA profession.