For Undergraduate Students
To successfully complete your degree and become licensed to teach, you must enter the educator preparation program and complete student teaching.
Requirements for admission to the educator preparation program:
- Completed educator preparation program application on file by May 1 of the sophomore year, or May 1 of junior year for transfer students or new majors.
- Praxis Core Math (Test code: 5732) passing score; or submit approved SAT or ACT scores (see Testing Information)
- Minimum 2.5 overall QPA
- Completion of (or currently enrolled in) core courses with grades of C- or above (B- or above on field experience).
- Passing VCLA scores
Requirements for admission to student teaching:
- Candidate has been accepted into EPP
- Completed student teaching application. Applications are due prior to September 15 for a spring semester placement or prior to February 1 for a fall semester placement.
- Overall minimum 2.5 GPA and 2.75 QPA in major
- Grades of C- or above on content courses and education core courses (B- or above on all field experiences). Any content or education course grade below requirements must be repeated.
- Submit Praxis II scores if required
- 3 favorable recommendations
- Submit RVE scores if required
Additional teacher licensing requirements:
- Completion of child abuse and neglect recognition and intervention training module
- Completion of certification of training in emergency first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, including hands-on practice, and the use of automated external defibrilators
- Dyslexia training
- Civics Module if required