For Undergraduate Students
To successfully complete your degree and become licensed to teach, you must enter the teacher preparation program and complete student teaching.
Requirements for admission to the teacher preparation program:
- Completed teacher preparation program application on file by November 1 of the junior year or March 20 of sophomore year
- Praxis Core Math passing score; or submit approved SAT or ACT scores
- Minimum 2.5 overall QPA
- Completion of (or currently enrolled in) core courses with grades of C- or above (B- or above on field experience).
- Passing VCLA scores
Requirements for admission to student teaching:
- Completed student teaching application on file by February 1 for fall student teaching or September 15 for spring student teaching
- Overall minimum 2.5 GPA and 2.75 QPA in major
- Full admission to the Teacher Preparation Program
- Grades of C- or above on content courses and education core courses (B- or above on all field experiences). Any content or education course grade below requirements must be repeated.
- Submit Praxis II scores if required
- 3 favorable recommendations
- Submit RVE scores if required
Additional teacher licensing requirements:
- Completion of child abuse/neglect awareness and reporting module
- Complete certification of training in emergency first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and the use of automated external defibrilators