Assistant Professor of Counseling
Department Chair, Counselor Education
Director, Clinical Mental Health Counseling
The Courts 330-J
Dr. Heyward is a Licensed Professional Counselor in the state of Virgina, an Approved Clinical Supervisor and a National Certified Counselor.
As a firm believer in the importance of service to the counseling profession, Dr. Heyward serves as an IRCEP Ambassador, an editorial board member for the Journal of Military and Government Counseling, is a CACREP Site Team Member, and is a trained member of the Red Cross Disaster Action Team and Disaster Mental Health Team.
Dr. Heyward also proudly serves her local and state communities as President of the Virginia Association for Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual and Transgender Issues in Counseling, Secretary of the Virginia Association for Couples and Family Counseling, and as the Chi Sigma Iota Faculty Advisor for the Kappa Chapter at University of Lynchburg.
Before joining academia, Dr. Heyward worked in community agencies seeing couples, families and individual clients with a variety of presenting issues. Most recently, she worked as the co-director of a marriage, couple, and family counseling center.
- PhD, The College of William & Mary
- MEd, The College of William & Mary
- BS, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Body psychotherapy and somatic counseling
- Transpersonal experiences of military families and military personnel
- Triggering events in counseling and counselor education
- International perspectives on the counseling profession