For Undergraduate Students
To successfully complete your degree and become licensed to teach, you must enter the educator preparation program and complete student teaching.
Requirements for admission to the educator preparation program:
- Complete the Educator Preparation Program Application by May 1 of the sophomore year, or May 1 of junior year for transfer students or new majors.
- Minimum 2.5 overall QPA.
- Completion of (or currently enrolled in) core courses with grades of C- or above (B- or above on field experience).
- Passing VCLA scores.
Requirements for admission to student teaching:
- Candidate has been accepted into EPP.
- Complete the student teaching application. Applications are due prior to September 15 for a spring semester placement or prior to February 1 for a fall semester placement.
- Share the Recommendation for Student Teaching form with three of your professors. The forms will be submitted directly to the College of Education.
- Two should be requested from faculty members who have taught in your major or minor courses.
- One should be requested from your faculty advisor.
- Overall minimum 2.5 GPA and 2.75 QPA in major.
- Grades of C- or above on content courses and education core courses (B- or above on all field experiences). Any content or education course grade below requirements must be repeated.
- Submit Praxis II scores if required.
- 3 favorable recommendations.
- Submit RVE scores if required.
Additional teacher licensing requirements:
- Completion of child abuse and neglect recognition and intervention training module.
- Completion of certification of training in emergency first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, including hands-on practice, and the use of automated external defibrilators.
- Dyslexia training.
- Civics Module if required.
Student Teaching/Internship Applications for Graduate Students
- Graduate Internship / Student Teaching Application: Elementary and Secondary
- Graduate Internship / Student Teaching Application: Special Education
- Graduate Internship / Student Teaching Application: Curriculum and Instruction
Administrative Assistant for the College of Education, Leadership Studies, and Counseling