10:45 – 11:45 a.m.
- Geriatric Mental Health in Rural Communities: Challenges and Opportunities
Andrew Heck, PsyD, ABPP, Licensed Clinical Psychologist, GeroPartners, LLC
- Life Happens, Then What? Understanding and Working with New Normals After Stroke, Brain Injury and other Serious Health Events
Angela Medina-Bravo, MD, Medical Director, Acute Rehabilitation Center, Virginia Baptist Hospital
- Self Neglect and Older Adults
Angela Mountcastle, Piedmont Regional Consultant, Virginia Adult Protective Services
- Protecting Yourself Against Scams and Fraud
Carl Wilkins, MS, Volunteer Community Ambassador, AARP Virginia
- Forgetfulness, Should I Be Worried?
Brian K. Unwin, Section Chief, Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine, Carilion Clinic – Center for Healthy Aging
- Potential Dangers are as Close as Your Medicine Cabinet
Charlotte Guynes, PhD, MEd, CHES, Department Chair, Health Promotion Studies; Director, Master of Public Health, University of Lynchburg
- The Role of Faith Communities in Meeting the Needs of Caregivers and Older Adults
Martha Stokes, Director, Church and Community Relations, Pinnacle Living; Coordinator, Virginia Faithful Aging Initiative
1:15 – 2:15 p.m.
- Recruiting, Training, and Retaining Star Employees in Healthcare
Greg Dowdy, Chief Operating Officer, American HealthCare, LLC
- When Dementia isn’t Alzheimer’s: Understanding Frontotemporal, Lewy Body, and Vascular Dementia
Tina R. Thomas, MSHP, CDP, CADDCT, CMH, Director of Programs and Services, Alzheimer’s Association
- When Elders are Sweet as Pie: Managing Diabetes Mellitus in Later Life
Lakeshia A. Entzminger, MD, Centra PACE
- The Opioid Epidemic and Older Adults
Kerry Gateley, MD, Director, West Piedmont Health District, Virginia Department of Health
- Home for Life: Preparing our Homes for Aging in Place
Ashley Glover Jarrett, PT, DPT, GCS, Geriatric Clinical Specialist, Senior Independence Home Health and Hospice
- Strategies for Living to a Happy and Healthy 100 Years and Beyond
Colby M. Takacs, MPH, CHES, Adjunct Professor, Health Promotion Studies, University of Lynchburg
2:30 – 3:30 p.m.
- Navigating the Challenges of Caring for a Parent
Chris Nufer, MA, LMHC, LPC, Geriatric Mental Health Counselor
- Building a Dementia-Capable and Dementia-Friendly Virginia
George Worthington, MS, Dementia Care Coordinator, Virginia Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services
- Poverty and Aging: Understanding and Responding to this Growing Challenge
Denny Huff, Executive Director, Bedford Community Health Foundation
- Legal Planning for the End of Life
Peter Holstead Davies, Esq.
Jonathan E. Davies, Esq.
- Using Music to Improve our Mind, Body, and Spirit
Becky J. Watson, MBA, BCMT, Owner and CEO, Music for Wellness, LLC
- Developing Future Administrators to Survive and Thrive in Long Term Care
Carey H. Peerman, PhD candidate, LNHA, FACHE, Jefferson College of Health Sciences at Carilion Clinic
- Valuable Internet Resources and Apps for Older Adults, Caregivers, and Professionals
Bonnie Scimone, Community Specialist, Virginia Navigator
Sharon Carter, MEd, Assistant to the Director, Beard Center on Aging