- The Daura Museum believes that appreciation of the visual arts across time and cultures is one of the most effective ways to become culturally aware global citizens and build a better world.
- The Daura Museum enhances the academic mission of the University of Lynchburg across all disciplines by offering opportunities to challenge assumptions, question critically, reason effectively, communicate clearly, act creatively, and live ethically.
- The Daura Museum models inclusion through stimulating, innovative, and compelling programs and exhibitions that enhance the academic curriculum.
- The Daura Museum is committed to ensuring that diversity, equity, and inclusion are apparent through a climate where all students, faculty, and staff feel welcomed and are treated equitably and with respect.
- The Daura Museum is a learning lab where innovation occurs at the intersection of disciplines.
- The Daura Museum fosters the transformative power of art by being a place of reflection, enjoyment, and dialogue.
- The Daura Museum finds collaborative opportunities on- and off-campus that make the museum central to learning and the building of diverse audiences.
Statement of Diversity & Inclusion
Academic museums and galleries across the U.S. are dedicated to teaching our many audiences about global heritage — past and present, individual and collective — not only to enhance educational and enrichment opportunities in the communities we serve, but also to foster mutual respect and understanding well beyond the borders of our localities. In furtherance of this commitment, we regularly welcome curators, faculty, students, and collectors from around the world who support our mission and share their creative practice and experiences with us.
Association of Academic Museums & Galleries, February 2017
The Daura Museum’s Strategic Plan is updated annually with goals achievable within the academic year. The Strategic Plan integrally supports the University of Lynchburg’s institutional priorities, advances the Museum’s work and reputation in the university museum field, and affirms its commitment to using the visual arts to improve the lives of the University of Lynchburg community. The Daura Museum’s Strategic Plan provides inspiration and aspiration, and drives resources that make the Daura Museum valued by and valuable to the University of Lynchburg.