The Daura Museum of Art at the University of Lynchburg was established in 1974 as the University’s art Museum. It was dedicated in 1990 in memory of the Catalan-American painter Pierre Daura (1896-1976) and his wife, Louise Blair Daura (1905-1972). In 2020, the University’s Board of Trustees unanimously approved the renaming it the Daura Museum of Art. The Museum continues to grow and thrive as an active academic unit that supports the mission of University of Lynchburg by being a resource for teaching through the collection, care, interpretation, and exhibition of works of art, and to enrich the cultural life of University constituents and a world-wide audience.
The Museum pledges that, in fulfillment of its educational mission, it strives to operate according to national standards and best practices to the best of its abilities and in accordance with its resources. [AAM Pledge of Excellence]