We are looking for an energetic and motivated individual who will be committed to providing excellent financial aid services to our students. The candidate must have a passion for education and fostering student success! Applicant must be results oriented, a team player who can multi-task, have excellent oral and written communication, phone etiquette, public speaking and presentation skills. The applicant must have the ability to handle busy phones and emails, as well as in person advising. Our financial aid office needs someone who can work well under pressure and with multiple deadlines. Under the supervision of the Director, this position performs a variety of activities to administer federal and institutional aid funds.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Advise students and parents as well as on/off campus constituencies about financial aid opportunities, procedures, college policies and eligibility requirements for aid. Must have the ability to interact with students and parents calmly and graciously under difficult situations and be capable of explaining complex and confusing regulations to students and parents.
- Answers questions by phone, emails and walk-ins from students, parents and general public.
- Collaborate with Admissions Office on financial aid awards to freshmen and transfer students.
- Processing of financial aid documentation.
- Resolving problems associated with student receipt of financial aid
- Managed and certify Alternative loan applications
- Assists with the release and disbursement of funds
- Complete Verification for all students selected by the federal government.
- Certifies state grant/scholarship rosters (VTAG)
- Participate in conducting financial aid presentations and working Open Houses
- Staying current on all federal, state and institutional aid regulations and guidelines.
- Completing review of Title IV calculations for completeness and accuracy.
- Monitors Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other staff members, campus departments, outside agencies and students/families.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- One or more years of experience in financial aid or in higher education with counseling experience.
- Student counseling experience and the ability to communicate with a diverse group of students and parents regarding financial aid.
- Excellent organizational skills as well as excellent problem solving and follow up skills.
- Knowledge of computer based financial aid packaging and reporting systems, preferably PowerFAIDS, NSLDS, COD and ScholarNet or the ability to learn new computer applications quickly.
- Previous experience with PC based software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work as part of a team and to provide a high level of customer service to students.
Required Soft Skills
- Sense of humor
- Positive attitude
- Sensitivity towards others
- Responsive and responsible
- Excellent communicator
- Team builder
- Ability to receive constructive feedback
Oral or Written Requirements
Excellent human relationship and English-language verbal skills for effective communication and relationship building on an individual basis and/or in small and large group settings. Excellent English-language reading comprehension and writing skills for correspondence, reports and projects. Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse population of students as well as across division lines of faculty, staff and students.
During the typical week, the position involves mostly sitting at a desk working on a computer, moderate walking and a little standing. The work schedule includes expectations and responsibilities requiring some additional hours in the evening and on weekends. Involves occasional travel during the year to conferences, workshops and other enrollment activities.
To apply, please submit a University employment application form and resume, along with names and contact information of three professional references to: University of Lynchburg, Attn: Human Resources, 1501 Lakeside Drive, Lynchburg, VA 24501, Fax 434.544.8658 or email: . EOE
Lynchburg College is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Lynchburg College strives for a diverse and inclusive community; under-represented groups are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to candidates with experience working with a multicultural and diverse student body.