Reimagine the Lynchburg Experience
Goal I: Leadership for the Future
Goal II: An Inclusive Campus and Collaborative Community
Students, staff, and faculty highlight the sense of community, the people, and the commitment to students as key attributes of the Lynchburg experience. Alumni report the breadth of experiential learning and the high level of faculty engagement and preparedness for their future careers as strengths of the University.
In addition, we share a strong set of institutional values. In keeping with the traditions of the University of Lynchburg and consistent with our relationship with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), the University reaffirms its commitment to a set of core values. These values inform the work of the University, ensuring that our planning and programs embody principles that help us offer educational experiences of the highest quality to prepare our students for an ever-changing world. The values are expressed and noted throughout the strategic plan.
- Academic Rigor: Students and faculty meet high standards of academic excellence, intellectual honesty, and commitment to open inquiry.
- Active Learning: Students take responsibility for developing themselves into lifelong learners; faculty foster that development, while modeling their own commitment to learning through scholarly and creative activities.
- Commitment to Success: Our programs, advising, and services provide students with the guidance and support they need in order to successfully complete their education at the University of Lynchburg.
- Community: We work to strengthen a sense of community on campus, to foster active engagement with the larger Lynchburg community, and to maintain mutually beneficial connections with our alumni.
- Diversity: Our community benefits from the contributions of individuals from a variety of intersecting identities, such as ethnicities, nationalities, sexualities, religions, spiritualities, ages, and diversity of thought.
- Integrity: Our policies and procedures, our treatment of one another, and our own behaviors demonstrate a commitment to fairness, honesty, and principle.
- Sustainability: Everyone benefits when we recognize and act upon our environmental obligations to future generations.
- Wellness: We strive to foster the well-being, in its many forms, of the members of the University community.
This five-year plan recognizes and builds on strengths to create a University that broadens its impact in the community and for the students it serves. We will expand enrollment, make a deeper commitment to the use of data for decision-making, leverage our expertise to share leadership development, infuse operations with an innovative approach to problem-solving, and ensure a campus environment built on inclusive excellence. The University will work toward “programs of distinction” that draw new students to us and enhance the value and reputation of the Lynchburg experience.