Dr. Alison Morrison-Shetlar will be the 11th president of the University of Lynchburg.
She most recently served as provost and interim chancellor at Western Carolina University. She has held academic and leadership roles at private and public institutions at several locations in Europe and the United States.
She and her husband, Dr. Robert Shetlar, will officially join the University of Lynchburg community in the summer of 2020.
More information about Dr. Morrison-Shetlar:
The Presidential Search
Dr. Kenneth R. Garren, 10th president of the University of Lynchburg, announced in August 2018 that he would retire in 2020, at the conclusion of his 19th year as president.
The Board of Trustees selected WittKieffer to assist with the search for the next president. Hundreds of students, faculty, staff, and alumni provided input on the qualities they would like to see in the next president. Dr. Kathryn M. Pumphrey, a member of the Board of Trustees, and Walker Sydnor, a former Board member, co-chaired the search committee. More than 100 individuals applied for the position. Finalists were interviewed in October 2019, and a final selection was made in November.
The 11th president will begin service in the summer of 2020.
The University of Lynchburg has been led by visionary educators who shaped a community that values engaged learning and champions student achievement.
- Dr. Josephus Hopwood (1903-1911)
- Dr. S.T. Willis (1911-1912)
- Mr. G.O. Davis (1912-1914)
- Mr. George P. Coler (Acting, 1914-1915)
- Dr. John T. Hundley (1915-1936)
- Dr. Riley B. Montgomery (1936-1949)
- Dr. Orville W. Wake ’32 (1949-1964)
- Dr. M. Carey Brewer ’49 (1964-1983)
- Dr. George N. Rainsford (1983-1993)
- Dr. Charles O. Warren (1993-2001)
- Dr. Kenneth R. Garren (2001-2020)