Vision 2020+ Diversity Accomplishments
The approval of Vision 2020+ in the fall of 2016 propelled numerous initiatives to ensure that Lynchburg will be nationally recognized as a leader for student engagement inside and outside of the classroom, in athletics, and in leadership. This bold vision has served as a catalyst for the development of an infrastructure for Engagement objective 1.4. The following accomplishments, during the first six months of this plan, demonstrate the commitment to this specific objective.
- The appointment of the Diversity & Inclusion Officer to oversee initiatives of diversity, equity and inclusion on campus.
- The development of the Office of Equity and Inclusion, which includes an online presence, to be a hub for modeling, training, resources, outreach, and development for the campus community.
- The creation of online reporting mechanisms for incidents of unfairness, prejudice, discrimination, and/or interpersonal misconduct.
- The appointment of a Presidential Faculty Fellow for Diversity & Inclusion
- The appointment of a Staff Liaison for an Inclusive Community
- The formation of the We are INclusive (WIN) team beginning with approximately 40 faculty members representing each of the 7 schools on campus. These faculty members advocate for equity and inclusiveness in the curriculum, training and development, and recruitment and retention among the faculty.
- The formation of the Student Diversity Council (SDC) beginning with 12 students to advocate for equity and inclusiveness throughout the student body. This group is responsible for ensuring advocacy for diversity and education throughout campus among the student body.
- The selection of a Staff Liaison for an Inclusive Campus to lead inclusion efforts within Staff Advisory Committee (SAC) to assist with advocacy throughout all staff initiatives.
- The hiring of several Student Diversity Liaisons (SDLs) who are responsible for programming and education among students.