The University of Lynchburg is currently seeking candidates for Writer/Editor. The writer/editor in University Communications & Marketing is responsible for the development and implementation of marketing and communication content and strategies that raise the profile of the University and its initiatives. Responsibilities include marketing copywriting, strategic message development and positioning, and content development for identified communication vehicles.
The writer/editor provides expertise to communicate effectively with prospective/current students, alumni/donors, faculty/staff, community partners, and other audiences. The writer/editor develops original content strategies and content for a variety of communications in support of student recruitment, student engagement, alumni engagement, fundraising, and stewardship initiatives, including web content, emails, digital ads, landing pages, blog posts, print publications, and newsletters, among others. The writer/editor is charged with developing effective storytelling approaches to craft compelling, action-oriented messaging and content and working collaboratively with designers, web developers, videographers, photographers, and editors in project creation and delivery.
Must be skilled as a reporter, writer, and editor, with basic competency in multimedia; and have the ability to tell stories through the use of various platforms, including social media, short- and long-format writing, news releases, media advisories, audio, video, and emerging media. Must master AP Style as well as an internal style guide and provide consistent, high-quality copyediting for University publications and projects.
- Assists with research, interviews, drafts and edits of strong written content for: enrollment marketing (publications/web/ads), public relations (news/op-eds/features), fundraising marketing, scripts for brand, program, video, and recruitment messages.
- Write succinct and compelling content for electronic channels and website content.
- Repurpose content from across the University, for a variety of institutional communication vehicles, including social media channels
- Serves as an editor for project teams and provides high-quality copyediting to ensure consistent brand voice and style
- Work involves frequent contact with University management, faculty, staff, students and alumni. Serves as a contact with off-campus constituencies as needed for assignments
- Participates in social media content curating and activity monitoring.
- Perform other writing and editing tasks as necessary and assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, communications, marketing, education or a related field
- Four (4) or more years of related work experience in the development of comprehensive and creative communications
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of communications writing and strategies to drive brand awareness, brand relevance, and positive reputation
- Results oriented, enthusiastic, resourceful, and creative with a can-do positive attitude
- Strong writing and editing skills; must be proficient in many writing styles, including promotional writing
- Proficient in AP Style Guide
- Experience with content management systems (CMS), especially WordPress, preferred
- Strong, creative, problem-solving skills
- Writing must demonstrate attention to audience, tone, nuance and detail
- Collaborative, team player with great networking skills
- Exercises sound judgment consistently
- Ability to work under pressure and set priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to meet deadlines consistently, particularly those requiring quick turnaround
- Ability to think critically and analytically
- Adaptable; ability to work independently and across teams
- Demonstrated attention to detail to ensure accuracy of information
- Organized, self-directed, and self-disciplined
The selected candidate must successfully pass a background check that is satisfactory to the University.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, a resume, and a University employment application form (https://www.lynchburg.edu/about/jobs/), along with names and contact information of three professional references to: University of Lynchburg, Attn: Human Resources, 1501 Lakeside Drive, Lynchburg, VA 24501, FAX: 434.544.8658 or E-mail: . EOE.
The University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. The University of Lynchburg strives for a diverse and inclusive community; under-represented groups are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to candidates with experience working with a multicultural and diverse student body.