The University of Lynchburg is accepting applications for a writer/editor position in University Communications and Marketing (UCM). The writer/editor is responsible for the development and implementation of marketing and communications content and strategies that raise the profile of the University and its initiatives. Responsibilities include marketing copywriting, strategic message development and positioning, and content development for identified communication vehicles, including social media.
The writer/editor provides expertise to communicate effectively with prospective/current students, alumni/donors, faculty/staff, community partners, and other audiences. The writer/editor develops original content for various communications to support student recruitment, student engagement, alumni engagement, fundraising, and stewardship initiatives, including web content, emails, digital ads, landing pages, blog posts, print publications, and newsletters, among others. The writer/editor uses effective storytelling to craft compelling content and works collaboratively with designers, web developers, videographers, photographers, and editors.
Required skills and attributes
- Researches, drafts, and edits strong written content for: enrollment marketing, public relations (news/op-eds/features), fundraising marketing, scripts for brand, program, video, and recruitment messages.
- Writes succinct and compelling content for digital channels and website content.
- Participates in social media content creation, management, and activity monitoring.
- Provides high-quality copyediting to ensure consistent brand voice and style.
- Works with University management, faculty, staff, students, alumni, and off-campus constituencies as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications, marketing, education, or a related field.
- Three (3) or more years of related work experience in the development of comprehensive and creative communications.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of communications writing and strategies to drive brand awareness, brand relevance, and positive reputation.
- Results-oriented, enthusiastic, resourceful, and creative with a can-do attitude.
- Strong writing and editing skills; must be proficient in many writing styles, including promotional writing.
- Passionate about managing social media, particularly Instagram.
- Proficient in AP Style Guide.
- Tech-savvy with experience using Google Suite, project management software, social media management tools, and content management systems (CMS), especially WordPress.
- Strong creative and problem-solving skills.
- Collaborative team player with great networking skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, set priorities, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Organized, self-directed, and self-disciplined with great attention to detail.
The selected candidate must successfully pass a background check that is satisfactory to the University.
To apply, please submit a University of Lynchburg application along with a résumé, cover letter, and three writing samples to: University of Lynchburg, Attn: Human Resources, 1501 Lakeside Drive, Lynchburg, VA 24501 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE.
The University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. The University of Lynchburg strives for a diverse and inclusive community; under-represented groups are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to candidates with experience working with a multicultural and diverse student body.