The University of Lynchburg, a private regional university, located in the beautiful foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in central Virginia is seeking a full-time PM Grill/Line Cook/Cashier to join our Dining Services team.
The PM Grill/Line Cook/Cashier reports to, is supervised by, and evaluated by the shift leader. The evaluation of work performance will be ongoing and will be carried out by the co-director of dining services. It will include the specific duties and responsibilities of this position description plus employee attitude and general working behavior.
Job Type: Full-Time, Benefits Eligible
Job Purpose: To assist the dining services team in daily food production and service, following established production guidelines in food preparation. Assists supervisor as needed.
Specific Job Duties:
- Prepares grill food items.
- Follows recipes in preparing menu items per ticket order.
- Maintains a clean, sanitary workplace.
- Assists in stocking sandwich board.
- Stocks drink boxes.
- When called on, operate register according to cashiers manual.
- Maintain customer relations with a positive and professional attitude.
- Maintain the dining room and service area in a sanitary manner.
- Keep all condiment areas stocked and cleaned.
- Performs any other related duties that may be required.
- Performs alternate work assignments in other campus departments during the summer months.
Starting Salary: $24,960 annually
Generous paid vacation, personal days, and paid sick time and family leave, comprehensive insurance (medical, dental, vision, etc.) and retirement plans, flexible spending account, tuition remission, life and long term disability insurance, and more. Learn more about employment benefits at the University of Lynchburg.
Flexibility of schedule will be required to accommodate nights and weekend hours. Overtime may be required due to time pressures.
- Ability to communicate effectively and have the ability to understand, comprehend and follow directions.
- Must have good teamwork skills.
- Tasks require the ability to stand, with very little sitting, and moderate walking, and continuously perform the essential functions for an 8-hour shift, for full-time assignments.
- Most of time is spent in the kitchen, with extreme temperature ranges.
- Work involves lifting or otherwise moving materials weighing approximately 50 pounds, using proper equipment and techniques. This job requires considerable stooping, bending, and reaching.
- Frequent exposure to various cleaning chemicals, smoke, spices and odors will occur.
- Experience in basic food preparation and familiarity with food service sanitation requirements.
- Education: One to four years education at the high school level or equivalent education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Work Remotely: No
How to Apply
Submit an employment application and email or mail a résumé, and contact information of three professional references, to:
University of Lynchburg
Office of Human Resources
1501 Lakeside Drive
Lynchburg, VA 24501
The selected candidate must successfully pass a background check that is satisfactory to the University.
We seek candidates who are committed to the University of Lynchburg’s efforts to create an environment that fosters a student-centered environment, develops the breadth of knowledge associated with liberal education, respects and supports diversity, equity, and inclusion, values and celebrates diverse faith traditions, and sustains close working relationships among faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community partners.
The University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from persons of color, women, Indigenous/aboriginal people of North America, persons with disabilities, the LGBTQIA+ community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University of Lynchburg community.
The University of Lynchburg is an equal opportunity employer.