University of Lynchburg Counseling services is seeking applications for a regular part time University Counselor and Group Coordinator. Reporting to the Director of Counseling, the Counselor will provide individual counseling and be responsible for the organization and implementation of groups for both undergraduate and graduate students. The successful candidate will also manage triage and crisis intervention, serve in on call rotation, as well as provide outreach programming and consultation. The Counselor will establish and maintain collaborative relationships with diverse campus constituencies including students, administration, faculty and staff.
The successful candidate will have experience working with a diverse college student population and implementing prevention initiatives.
This is a regular part time, 37.5 hour per week, 10 month position for the months of August through May.
- Maintain clinical caseload of individual students
- Organize and facilitate psychoeducational and therapeutic groups on campus
- Work collaboratively with Counselor Education on formation and implementation of groups
- Coordinate student care including referrals and collaboration with other treatment providers
- Collaborate with campus partners to provide crisis intervention, counseling and consultation
- Manage triage and crisis intervention for students and community as appropriate
- Maintain clinical documentation in accordance with legal, professional and university guidelines
- Provide exceptional operational excellence to our students, faculty and community
- Initiate and participate in outreach activities providing prevention and education regarding mental health to students
- Perform role in a non-judgmental and non-discriminatory manner in accordance with university policies
- Participate in weekly on call rotation
- Maintain licensure expectations as it relates to professional development as well as staying current on trends related to mental health as well as substance abuse
- Utilize electronic medical record system to maintain accurate and current clinical medical records
- Positively contribute to a supportive, healthy and safe work environment
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree in Mental Health Counseling, Social Work or related field required
- Virginia licensure in counseling or social work preferred
- Must be license eligible in the State of Virginia
- 3-5 years of experience providing individual and/or group mental health counseling services
- Experience with college-age population preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency in delivering Telehealth services
- Ability to remain on call for after hours emergencies as scheduled
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to manage the fast-paced environment of meeting the mental health needs of the students and community
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of students
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Previous experience with use of electronic record system
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations and/or a commitment to diversity and inclusion
The selected candidate must successfully pass a background check that is satisfactory to the University.
To apply, please submit a University job application form, along with names of three business references to: University of Lynchburg, Attn: Human Resources, 1501 Lakeside Drive, Lynchburg, VA 24501. Or you can email email@example.com. This position will officially begin in August 2021. For priority consideration, please submit your application and resume by Friday, June 18, 2021.
The University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from persons of color, women, Indigenous/aboriginal people of North America, persons with disabilities, the LGBTQ+ community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University of Lynchburg community.