The University of Lynchburg, a private regional university located in the beautiful foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in central Virginia, is accepting applications for a student employment coordinator to join our team to assist in administering the student employment program’s activities, a key component of University of Lynchburg’s human resources. The primary goal of this program is to provide specific, structured, and relevant learning experiences outside the classroom environment by encouraging student employees to take an active and responsible role in various campus job assignments. The coordinator is also responsible for assisting in the administration of human resource activities in the Office of Human Resources.
The successful candidate must have excellent communication skills and organizational skills as well as be a self-starter and detail oriented. Computer experience, specifically with the Microsoft Office suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) and Google applications.
- Student employee
- Coordinates and manages the programs and activities of the Student Employment Program, which includes the Federal Work Study and Campus Employment Programs, in compliance with federal and University guidelines.
- Works closely with the Office of Financial Aid to identify students receiving work-study awards and communicates job availability.
- Coordinates the employment process of all campus student employment positions.
- Assist new student employees in completion of required forms prior to beginning employment.
- Provides support to campus supervisors and department chairpersons related to student employee selection, supervision, budgets, interview guidelines, and regulations governing student personnel policies and procedures.
- Advises and counsels student employees in student employment personnel policies and procedures and learning opportunities available through student employment.
- Monitors departmental budgets for student employment positions and makes recommendations for budget adjustments.
- Monitors student employment earnings with awards.
- Reconcile student employment payroll with the general ledger on a monthly basis.
- Plans activities for Student Employment Week in April.
- Responsible for providing assistance to the Payroll Coordinator in preparation, balancing, and distribution of the various payrolls.
- Higher education experience or human resources experience preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite or similar software particularly Excel or Google Sheets.
- Ability to work independently; effectively manage multiple responsibilities; meet deadlines; exercise independent judgment and initiative; pay attention to detail in accordance with established policies and procedures; perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Strong ethics and discretion for dealing with confidential, sensitive information.
- Ability to effectively present to groups of various sizes.
- Demonstrated evidence of establishing and maintaining professional boundaries with students.
- Ability to work with diverse populations.
Education and experience (required):
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required.
- Experience in financial aid or the field of employment or personnel.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at a time.
- Full-time, exempt, benefits eligible.
Normal hours and work schedule:
- 7.5 hours/day from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. with some weekends for Open House and Student Orientation presentations as required.
How to Apply
Submit an employment application and email or mail a résumé and contact information of three professional references, to:
University of Lynchburg
Office of Human Resources
1501 Lakeside Drive
Lynchburg, VA 24501
The selected candidate must successfully pass a background check that is satisfactory to the University.
The University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from persons of color, women, Indigenous/aboriginal people of North America, persons with disabilities, the LGBTQIA+ community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University of Lynchburg community.
The University of Lynchburg is an equal opportunity employer.