The University of Lynchburg, a private regional university, located in the beautiful foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Central Virginia is seeking a full-time preventative maintenance mechanic to join our maintenance team.
The preventative maintenance mechanic reports to, is supervised by, and evaluated by the maintenance supervisor. The evaluation of work performance will be ongoing and will be carried out by the maintenance supervisor. It will include the specific duties and responsibilities of this position description plus employee attitude and general working behavior.
- Full-time, benefits eligible
- To assist the maintenance team in performing weekly and monthly preventative maintenance tasks to campus systems.
Specific job duties:
- Performs routine preventative maintenance to campus heating systems, air conditioning systems, and refrigeration systems.
- Reads, interprets, prioritizes, and completes work orders as assigned.
- Reads, interprets, and works from drawings, plans, and manuals related to equipment and facilities.
- Provides oral reports and concise, written statements related to status of equipment.
- Responsible for the safekeeping of assigned tools and vehicles issued.
- Manages detailed records of equipment in a computer database program.
- Performs filter changes, belt inspections, proper alignment of pulleys, greasing motors and pumps, and cleaning coils and equipment to maintain proper operation and efficiency.
- Prepares equipment for seasonal shutdown and start up.
- Provides assistance to electricians with electrical preventive maintenance to campus distribution system, transformers, and lighting dimmers.
- Performs routine inspections on heating pipe and mechanical pipe insulation.
- Perform inspections and operation of mixing valves.
- Prepare reports on equipment defects and inefficiency. Order parts for repairs.
- Assists with painting, grounds, environmental services, and security when needed.
- Performs any other related duties as may be required.
- Generous paid vacation, personal days, and paid sick time and family leave, comprehensive insurance (medical, dental, vision, etc.) and retirement plans, flexible spending account, tuition remission, life and long term disability insurance, and more. Learn more about employment benefits at the University of Lynchburg. Learn more about employment benefits at the University of Lynchburg.
- Tasks require the ability to stand or walk and continuously perform essential job functions for an 8-hour shift, with two fifteen-minute breaks and a one-hour meal break. Occasional overtime, holiday work and rotating, scheduled on-call duties are required. This position is designated as essential personnel as outlined in the Staff Handbook of Personnel Policies and Procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively and have the ability to understand, comprehend and follow directions.
- Must have good teamwork skills.
- Work is performed indoors and outdoors, sometimes during extreme weather conditions. Work spaces are not usually air conditioned. Work is performed above ground level and on roofs, requiring the ability to safely climb ladders, stairs, and scaffolds. Work requirements involve lifting or otherwise moving materials weighing 75 pounds. Tasks require bending, stooping, kneeling, and walking significant distances between and within buildings on campus.
- Knowledge of repair related to buildings maintenance.
- Knowledge of safe working practices for the maintenance of buildings, including regulatory safety requirements.
- At least five years of general buildings maintenance experience is required.
- Must possess a valid Virginia driver’s license.
- Some computer experience is preferred.
- CFC certification is preferred.
- High school diploma or equivalent education is preferred.
How to Apply
Submit an employment application and email or mail a résumé, and contact information of three professional references, to:
University of Lynchburg
Office of Human Resources
1501 Lakeside Drive
Lynchburg, VA 24501
The selected candidate must successfully pass a background check that is satisfactory to the University.
We seek candidates who are committed to the University of Lynchburg’s efforts to create an environment that fosters a student-centered environment, develops the breadth of knowledge associated with liberal education, respects and supports diversity, equity, and inclusion, values and celebrates diverse faith traditions, and sustains close working relationships among faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community partners.
The University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from persons of color, women, Indigenous/aboriginal people of North America, persons with disabilities, the LGBTQIA+ community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University of Lynchburg community.
The University of Lynchburg is an equal opportunity employer.