The University of Lynchburg, a private, regional university in the beautiful foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Central Virginia, is accepting applications for a pre-health program and advising coordinator. The successful candidate will be responsible for advising pre-health students and helping them navigate their college experiences. The advisor will assist students with preparing schedules that meet admission prerequisites for graduate school, as well as providing students with opportunities to learn about the pre-health fields. This position will be responsible for facilitating pre-health advising for students who are interested in athletic training, physician assistant, occupational therapy, physical therapy, dental, medical, optometry, pharmacy, veterinary medicine, public health, and other health occupation interests. Additional responsibilities may include assisting with the administration of other programs as offered by the Academic Achievement Center.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with the formulation of goals, objectives, activities for the implementation of a pre-health advising model
- Provide personalized, intentional, and holistic advising support to students to ensure successful preparation for entry into a health professional program
- Work closely with faculty members in creating outlines for pre-health paths for undergraduates
- Serve as liaison to department chairs and program directors for the College of Health Sciences and School of Sciences, as well as liaison to graduate studies
- Identify and reach out to students experiencing academic difficulty in a proactive and supportive manner, in conjunction with the coordinator of academic coaching
- Coordinate programs to engage and advance pre-health students
- Create and chair the Pre-Health Advisory Committee
- Implement information sessions, group workshops, and seminars that prepare students for the pre-health field and expose them to opportunities
- Collaborate with the College of Health Science and School of Science to ensure information is being shared about students’ progress, as well as maintain a list of active advisors in the majors
- Develop a communication plan for pre-health students, including a regular newsletter outlining opportunities, events, and tips for pre-health students, as well as the development of a social media presence
- Create and maintain reports on post-undergraduate success in applying to pre-health programs
- Participate in student recruitment activities (Open Houses, Admitted Student Days, etc.) to promote the pre-health tracks and Direct-Admit Pathway Programs
- Keep a database of all pre-health students and students part of the pre-health Direct-Admit Pathway Program and track their progress, to ensure they are meeting the pre-health fields prerequisites
- Gather information and data to be used for the analysis of student success.
- Maintain a knowledge base of research and resources in the area of pre-health advising
- Participate as a member of the Academic Achievement Center staff in meetings, programs, and service delivery to students
- Master’s degree in student personnel administration, higher education, or related field of study
- A minimum of one year of experience working in an educational setting (preferably higher education) with students in transition and handling multiple priorities
- Graduate assistantship counts as work experience
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills, as well as the ability to supervise student leaders, are essential
- Experience in planning and executing special events and orientation is desirable
- Developed analytical skills and ability to use technology software to collect and analyze data and trends
- High personal motivation, organization, and follow-up skills are necessary as is the ability to multitask, meet deadlines, work effectively as a team member with a collegial and collaborative style
- Demonstrated ability to work in a high volume environment
How to Apply
Submit an employment application and email or mail a cover letter, résumé, and contact information of three professional references, to:
University of Lynchburg
Office of Human Resources
1501 Lakeside Drive
Lynchburg, VA 24501
The selected candidate must successfully pass a background check that is satisfactory to the University.
The University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from persons of color, women, Indigenous/aboriginal people of North America, persons with disabilities, the LGBTQIA+ community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University of Lynchburg community.
The University of Lynchburg is an equal opportunity employer.