The University of Lynchburg, a private regional university, located in the beautiful foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Central Virginia is seeking a full-time painter to join our environmental services team.
The painter reports to, is supervised by, and evaluated by the environmental services manager. The evaluation of work performance will be ongoing and will be carried out by the environmental services manager. It will include the specific duties and responsibilities of this position description plus employee attitude and general working behavior.
- Full-time, benefits eligible
- Preparation and application of paint and other related materials to interior and exterior buildings.
Specific job duties:
- Prepares surfaces and applies various paints, coatings, varnishes and shellacs. Uses fillers, thinners, and finishing materials, according to specified standards. Uses approved products on exterior surfaces that are designed for adverse weather conditions.
- Gives general attention to detail work.
- Complies with uniform code for department.
- Completes projects or work orders, as assigned.
- Meets mandatory safety requirements as established by the department and the University.
- Gives courteous communication and cooperation with fellow employees, faculty and staff, students and guests.
- Maintains assigned equipment in a clean and orderly fashion.
- Maintains storage area in a clean and orderly fashion.
- Prepares plaster, installs tile, and applies wall covering according to specified standards.
- Uses proper technique for mixing of paints, including shading.
- Performs simple carpentry.
- Performs any other related duties as may be required.
- Generous sick time and family leave, comprehensive insurance (medical, dental, vision, etc.) and retirement plans, flexible spending account, tuition remission, life and long term disability insurance, and more. Learn more about employment benefits at the University of Lynchburg.
- 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. (7.5 hours/day with some evening and weekends to meet needs of department may be required)
- Ability to communicate effectively and have the ability to understand, comprehend and follow directions
- Must have good teamwork skills
- Work is performed indoors and outdoors, sometimes during extreme weather conditions. Work spaces are not usually air conditioned. Work is performed above ground level and on roofs, requiring the ability to safely climb ladders up to 25 feet, stairs, and scaffolds. Work requirements involve lifting or otherwise moving materials weighing 50 pounds. Tasks require bending, stooping, kneeling, and walking significant distances between and within buildings on campus. Tasks require the ability to stand or walk and continuously perform essential job functions for an 8-hour shift, with two fifteen-minute breaks and a one-hour meal break. Occasional overtime or holiday work may be required. This position is designated as essential personnel as outlined in the Staff Handbook of Personnel Policies and Procedures.
- At least three years of professional painting experience required.
- Must possess a valid Virginia driver’s license.
- Knowledge and skills of painting trade including the mixing of paints and shading.
- Knowledge of safe working practices for the maintenance of buildings, including regulatory safety requirements.
- High school diploma or equivalent education is preferred.
How to Apply
Submit an employment application and email or mail a résumé, and contact information of three professional references, to:
University of Lynchburg
Office of Human Resources
1501 Lakeside Drive
Lynchburg, VA 24501
The selected candidate must successfully pass a background check that is satisfactory to the University.
We seek candidates who are committed to the University of Lynchburg’s efforts to create an environment that fosters a student-centered environment, develops the breadth of knowledge associated with liberal education, respects and supports diversity, equity, and inclusion, values and celebrates diverse faith traditions, and sustains close working relationships among faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community partners.
The University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from persons of color, women, Indigenous/aboriginal people of North America, persons with disabilities, the LGBTQIA+ community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University of Lynchburg community.
The University of Lynchburg is an equal opportunity employer.