The University of Lynchburg, a private, regional university in the beautiful foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Central Virginia, is looking for a full-time marketing writer to join the Office of Enrollment, Marketing, and Communications (EMC).
This position serves as the primary writer for undergraduate and graduate recruitment publications. The marketing writer drafts compelling, creative copy for a variety of print materials and collaborates on digital communications, including emails, web copy, and social media ads. The marketing writer is an expert in communicating effectively with our target audiences and can adapt style and tone to any channel. The marketing writer works with designers, editors, the project manager, and others in the Office of Enrollment, Marketing, and Communications (EMC) to produce integrated pieces that elevate the University of Lynchburg brand.
- Full-time, exempt
- Director of Communications
- Conceptualize creative recruitment materials in collaboration with the marketing director, designers, and admissions staff.
- Write compelling copy and headlines for a variety of print and digital marketing publications, particularly enrollment.
- Edit and proof print and digital materials for accuracy and style.
- Collaborate with EMC and other departments on large and small marketing projects (e.g. advertising campaigns, print publications, and other content) and help integrate content across multiple platforms.
- Conduct thorough research and interviews.
- Stay up to date on enrollment trends and marketing strategies to ensure authentic and consistent voice across all materials.
- Write/edit website content as needed.
- Write/edit video scripts as needed.
- Write/edit news stories as needed and upload to website using content management systems (e.g. WordPress) while keeping SEO best practices in mind.
- Contribute written content to social media.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, English, journalism, or related field.
- Two or more years of related experience in the development of creative marketing communications. Copywriting experience is a huge plus!
- Superior creative writing skills. Able to adapt to the prescribed style and format.
- Solid grammar and proofreading skills. Familiarity with AP Stylebook preferred.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of marketing and communications strategies to drive brand awareness, brand relevance, and positive reputation.
- Proficient in Google docs and MS Word.
- Familiar with Adobe Creative Suite and project management software.
- Results-oriented, enthusiastic, resourceful, and creative with a can-do attitude.
- Strong creative and problem-solving skills.
- Collaborative team player with great networking skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure, set priorities, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Organized, self-directed, and self-disciplined with great attention to detail.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Casual office environment with flexibility to work from home part of the week.
Generous paid vacation, personal days, and paid sick time and family leave, comprehensive insurance (medical, dental, vision, etc.) and retirement plans, FSA account, tuition remission, and more. Learn more about employment benefits at the University of Lynchburg.
How to Apply
Submit an employment application and email a résumé, cover letter, portfolio of writing samples, and contact information of three professional references to:
The selected candidate must successfully pass a background check that is satisfactory to the University.
The University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from persons of color, women, Indigenous/aboriginal people of North America, persons with disabilities, the LGBTQIA+ community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University of Lynchburg community.
The University of Lynchburg is an equal opportunity employer.