The University of Lynchburg, a private regional university, located in the beautiful foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Central Virginia is seeking a full-time groundskeeper to join our grounds team. This position will perform general grounds maintenance tasks of a standardized nature using a variety of hand tools and motorized equipment.
Specific job duties:
- Responsible for mowing, seeding, fertilizing, and sodding
- Installation of landscaping and flower beds
- Perform mulching, pruning, and snow removal
- Inclement or hazardous weather cleanup is required. This is a designated essential personnel position.
- Other duties as assigned
The groundskeeper reports to, is supervised by, and evaluated by the director of campus grounds. The evaluation of work performance will be ongoing and will be carried out by the director of campus grounds. It will include the specific duties and responsibilities of this position description plus employee attitude and general working behavior.
- Full-time, benefits eligible
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition remission
- Life insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- Health savings accounts
- Long term disability
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
- Additional hours/shifts to meet the needs of the department may be required
- Ability to communicate effectively and have the ability to understand, comprehend and follow directions
- Must have good teamwork skills
- Must be able to safely and frequently move and handle heavy objects weighing 50 lbs. or more
- Ability to climb and work from elevated stations such as ladders, bucket trucks, and scaffolding
- Work long periods of time standing, walking, reaching, bending, pushing, and pulling
- Must be able to work in all types of weather conditions including extreme temperatures
- Preferred one to three years of experience in grounds-related services
- Preferred knowledge, training, and experience in groundskeeping, gardening and landscaping techniques
- Valid Virginia driver’s license is required
- Must obtain a Pesticide Registered Technician certification within 6 months of employment
- High school or equivalent (required)
We seek candidates who are committed to the University of Lynchburg’s efforts to create an environment that fosters a student-centered environment, develops the breadth of knowledge associated with liberal education, respects and supports diversity, equity, and inclusion, values and celebrates diverse faith traditions, and sustains close working relationships among faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community partners.
How to Apply
Submit an employment application and email or mail a résumé and contact information of three professional references, to:
University of Lynchburg
Office of Human Resources
1501 Lakeside Drive
Lynchburg, VA 24501
The selected candidate must successfully pass a background check that is satisfactory to the University.
The University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from persons of color, women, Indigenous/aboriginal people of North America, persons with disabilities, the LGBTQIA+ community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University of Lynchburg community.
The University of Lynchburg is an equal opportunity employer.