The University of Lynchburg, a private, regional university in the beautiful foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Central Virginia, invites applications for a full-time, exempt Experiential Learning Coordinator position for the College of Medical Science.
The Experiential Learning Coordinator is responsible for ensuring and supporting student success for the master’s and doctoral students in the College of Medical Science (COMS). This position primarily supports the Director of Clinical Education by helping with clinical rotations. Another major area of responsibility is in the practicum course series within the Doctor of Medical Science program. As the College of Medical Science grows, the responsibilities of this position may grow as well.
This position reports to the Dean of the College of Medical Science and is supervised directly by the Associate Program Directors and Operations Manager.
Job Type: Full-time, benefits eligible.
Specific Job Duties for the Master of PA Medicine:
- Oversees the Student Evaluation And Logging (SEAL) system. Responsibilities include monitoring the system, sending evaluations and updating preceptor information.
- Work with the Director of Clinical Education (DCE), Director of Evaluation Assessment and Compliance (DEAC), Associate Program Directors, and Program Directors to create program reports for ARC-PA accreditation.
- Purchases PAEA examinations.
- Works with the Business Office and the DCE to complete and manage new Affiliation Agreements.
- Updates External Affiliation Agreement tracking spreadsheet and ensuring renewal of expiring agreements.
- Uploads vaccines, PPDs, drug screens, ACLS/PALS to folders annually.
- Updates PA clinical year Moodle-assignment dates, schedule users in time frames, new syllabi, etc. each semester.
- Completes the student portfolios for each graduating PA students annually during the summer semester.
- Assists with coordinating and modifying PA student rotation schedules, including internal and external site .placements.
- Completes onboarding for PA clinical year students.
- Participates in the coordination and administrative tasks of call back days and call back weeks.
- Updates and maintain preceptor paperwork, certifications and licenses on file.
- Creates certificates for preceptors, student, and others as tasked.
- Works with the DCE to create/distribute preceptor appreciation gifts.
- Updates the programs internal data excel document for continuing self-study ARC-PA accreditation.
- Completes the appropriate forms and manage AAPA CME for preceptors.
- Helps with School of PA Medicine Clinical Faculty scheduling for current and future COMS partnerships.
Specific Job Duties for the Doctor of Medical Science:
- Manages day-to-day administrative functions of fellowship/practicum courses and students in these programs.
- Develops guidelines and ensures implementation of administration procedures involving or affecting fellows and students at all affiliated hospitals sites.
- Oversees the solicitation and assessment of evaluations on fellows, faculty, students, and rotations as they relate to fellow training.
- Provides direction, training, and oversight for fellow/student training activities (including administrative, educational, and financial issues).
- Serve as principal administrative contact between directors and faculty, and all affiliated hospitals training sites.
- Responsible for day-to-day fellowship program administrative functions.
- Provide resource information and referrals regarding fellowship training and curricular programs to professional/management staff at affiliated hospitals.
- Monitor adherence to university policies and procedures.
- In conjunction with the Director(s), develop plans for resolution of various confidential fellow issues (i.e. poor academic performance, behavioral problems, substance abuse, etc). Provide direction and resources for fellows with problems/concerns related to program, rotations, or personal issues. Resolve issues independently or notify the Director if appropriate. Ensure proper promotional and marketing programs to attract outstanding students and fellows to the Program utilizing such tools as the web, medical journal advertisements, and fellow fairs. Comply with equal opportunity/affirmative action guidelines.
- Participates in decision-making process for fellowship planning and policy development.
- Compiles and prepares accreditation reports/materials as directed.
- Ensures training programs meet all the requirements set by the department.
- Produces complex schedules assuring fellows receive a wide range of training.
- Provides assessment based upon fellowship and rotation evaluations, accreditation regulations, and educational needs.
- Communicates new policies or interpret existing policies in the education program to faculty and fellows.
- Responsible for completing fellow evaluation summaries.
- Oversees organization and management of CME activities complying with CME guidelines.
- Provides training to new users of the electronic evaluation system.
- Prints and sends practicum certificates to students who complete the practicum course series.
- Performs other duties assigned by COMS leadership.
Starting Salary: $40,000 annually.
Benefits: Generous paid vacation, personal days, and paid sick time and family leave, comprehensive insurance (medical, dental, vision, etc.) and retirement plans, flexible spending account, tuition remission, life and long term disability insurance, and more. Learn more about employment benefits at the University of Lynchburg.
Schedule: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (7.5 hours/day with some evening and weekends to meet needs of department may be required.
- Ability to communicate effectively and have the ability to understand, comprehend and follow directions.
- Must have good teamwork skills.
Physical Demands: Prolonged periods standing or sitting at a desk.
- Minimum of 3 years progressively responsible administrative professional experience required, preferably in higher education or a medical setting.
- Spreadsheet and database management skills are essential.
- Above average knowledge of office procedures.
- Excellent oral and written communication and organizational skills.
- Must be a self-starter, have ability to handle multiple priorities, and have a close attention to detail and accuracy.
- This position requires flexibility, creative problem-solving ability, and customer service skills.
- The ideal candidate will be courteous, people-oriented, and have excellent interpersonal skills.
Education: The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business or a health-related field. Advanced degree preferred.
Work Remotely: No
How to Apply
Submit an employment application and email or mail a résumé, and contact information of three professional references, to:
University of Lynchburg
Attn: Experiential Learning Coordinator – College of Medical Science
1501 Lakeside Drive
Lynchburg, VA 24501
References will be checked prior to employment. The selected candidate must successfully pass a background check that is satisfactory to the University.
We seek candidates who are committed to the University of Lynchburg’s efforts to create an environment that fosters a student-centered environment, develops the breadth of knowledge associated with liberal education, respects and supports diversity, equity, and inclusion, values and celebrates diverse faith traditions, and sustains close working relationships among faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community partners.
The University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from persons of color, women, Indigenous/aboriginal people of North America, persons with disabilities, the LGBTQIA+ community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University of Lynchburg community.
The University of Lynchburg is an equal opportunity employer.