The University of Lynchburg, a private regional university, located in the beautiful foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in central Virginia is seeking a full-time Director of Environmental Services to join our Environmental Services team.
The Director of Environmental Services reports to, is supervised by, and evaluated by the Director of Physical Plant. The evaluation of work performance will be ongoing and will be carried out by the Director of Physical Plant. It will include the specific duties and responsibilities of this position description plus employee attitude and general working behavior.
- Full-Time, Benefits Eligible
- $63,000 annually
- Promotes the College’s standards of quality, cleanliness, and safety in the campus facilities.
Specific Job Duties:
- Inspects facilities and makes recommendations and implements changes or improvements which promote the College’s standards of quality, cleanliness, and safety. Makes regular inspections of classrooms, residence hall lounges, and other facilities for the purpose of assuring their readiness for use as required by the College.
- Designs and provides staff training and skills development activities which focus on building technical skills in the Physical Plant Environmental Services department.
- Recruits, screens, interviews, and selects new personnel in the Environmental Services department.
- Serves as a member of the Facilities Safety Committee, makes recommendations which promote safe work practices by employees and also recommends improvements to facilities to promote a safe and healthy workplace.
- Organizes and implements policies and procedures for a campus wide recycling program. Ensures that the recycling program is carried out and remains effective.
- Conducts frequent inspections of public areas for necessary improvements to cleanliness and attractiveness.
- Initiates work orders when maintenance needs are detected.
- Works with new staff members in orienting them to the proper use and methods of cleaning.
- Works with individual environmental staff members to build their technical skills in different areas.
- Uses supervisory skills and training for:
- Conducting performance appraisals.
- Properly handling disciplinary action.
- Effective interview and selection techniques.
- Worker’s compensation reporting procedures.
- Safety in the workplace.
- Works closely with all sections within the Physical Plant department:
- Coordinates project work schedules with Physical Plant supervisors.
- Involvement with summer conference preparation, winter projects and summer projects.
- Performs any other related duties that may be assigned.
- Generous paid vacation, personal days, and paid sick time and family leave, comprehensive insurance (medical, dental, vision, etc.) and retirement plans, flexible spending account, tuition remission, life and long term disability insurance, and more. Learn more about employment benefits at the University of Lynchburg.
- 7 a.m. – 4 p.m. (7.5 hours/day with some evening and weekends to meet needs of department may be required
- Ability to communicate effectively and have the ability to understand, comprehend and follow directions
- Must have good teamwork skills
- Tasks require the ability to stand or walk, with little sitting, and continuously perform the essential job duties for an 8-hour shift.
- Flexibility of schedule is necessary for supervising the third shift or weekend crew, as a part of the regular duties.
- Time pressures often require the ability to work under stressful, demanding conditions.
- Work is primarily performed indoors, often in areas without air conditioning.
- Considerable stooping, kneeling, bending, reaching, twisting, lifting and climbing stairs and ladders are required.
- This position is designated as Essential Personnel as outlined in the Staff Handbook of Personnel Policies and Procedures.
- Effective English-language skills for giving oral and written direction to employees.
- Ability to create and interpret reports, memos and documentation.
- Effective communication skills for good working relationships with faculty, staff, students, and vendors. Good mathematical skills for performance of daily responsibilities.
- Five years supervisory experience in environmental services or facilities support services.
- Knowledge of various cleaning methods and working knowledge of operation of various types of cleaning equipment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated experience in motivating, training, and working effectively with personnel.
- High school diploma or equivalent education and experience that provides knowledge, skills, and abilities.
How to Apply
Submit an employment application and email or mail a résumé, and contact information of three professional references, to:
University of Lynchburg
Office of Human Resources
1501 Lakeside Drive
Lynchburg, VA 24501
The selected candidate must successfully pass a background check that is satisfactory to the University.
We seek candidates who are committed to the University of Lynchburg’s efforts to create an environment that fosters a student-centered environment, develops the breadth of knowledge associated with liberal education, respects and supports diversity, equity, and inclusion, values and celebrates diverse faith traditions, and sustains close working relationships among faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community partners.
The University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from persons of color, women, Indigenous/aboriginal people of North America, persons with disabilities, the LGBTQIA+ community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University of Lynchburg community.
The University of Lynchburg is an equal opportunity employer.