The University of Lynchburg is accepting applications for the Director of Communications position in University Communications and Marketing (UCM). The director of communications develops and leads strategic projects to elevate the University of Lynchburg’s reputation, support student recruitment, engage alumni, and strengthen community relations. The director is the University’s media relations specialist; editor of the University’s twice-yearly magazine; primary social media manager; and collaborates with other staff in the development of materials to promote the University of Lynchburg.
The director of communications is a member of the UCM leadership team. The director works with the director of marketing and project manager, and reports to the associate vice president for communications and marketing, to plan and direct communications and marketing projects. The director meets regularly with faculty and staff from throughout campus, but especially enrollment and advancement, to support and lead projects related to student recruitment and fundraising.
The director leads content development for the University’s website, news, social media, and podcast. Duties include coordinating with writers, photographers, designers, and student workers to identify, produce, and publish engaging content on a variety of channels according to strategic content plans. The director writes for a wide variety of audiences, including prospective students, alumni, reporters, and the general public.
Required skills and attributes:
- Strong communication skills including writing, storytelling, proofreading, and editing
- The ability to think and work strategically
- Organized and deadline-driven
- Experience working within a brand
- Social media content development experience
- Experience using social media or web analytics data for decision making
- Positive attitude and ability to solve problems
- Ability to build strong working relationships with faculty, staff, members of the media, and the general public
- A bachelor’s degree and six years of experience in journalism, writing and editing, or other related fields; or a master’s degree and four years of experience.
- Leadership experience and work in higher education is preferred.
- Results oriented, enthusiastic, resourceful, and creative with a can-do positive attitude
- Ability to work under pressure and set priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to think critically and analytically
- Adaptable; ability to work independently and across teams
Candidates should submit a University of Lynchburg application along with a résumé, cover letter, and three writing samples to University of Lynchburg, ATTN: Human Resources, 1501 Lakeside Drive, Lynchburg, VA 24501. FAX: 434.5448658 or Email: email@example.com. EOE
University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. University of Lynchburg strives for a diverse and inclusive community; under-represented groups are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to candidates with experience working with a multicultural and diverse student body.