The University of Lynchburg is currently seeking candidates for a Digital Content Specialist. The Digital Content Specialist in University Communications and Marketing serves as the primary content manager for lynchburg.edu and other University of Lynchburg websites. While collaborating with other web team members and writers, the Digital Content Specialist is responsible for the website’s architecture and content, ensuring the website is accessible, user-friendly, accurate, and effective.
The Digital Content Specialist works with a web designer and web developer to improve the website’s user experience, ensuring that content, design, and functionality work together. This individual may supervise a graduate assistant and / or undergraduate student workers who perform content updates, and collaborates with writers and editors to produce clear, engaging web content that reflects the University’s brand while adhering to best practices for search engine optimization (SEO) and user experience design. Experience with a content management system is required, and expertise using WordPress is preferred.
This individual receives web content edit requests from other departments in the University, and also initiates meetings to discuss updates and improvements. The Digital Content Specialist ensures that requested edits are made in a timely manner.
- Participates in the development and execution of content strategies for UCM and its college partners
- Works with Director of Marketing and Director of Communications to develop and execute a search engine optimization strategy
- Audits web content throughout lynchburg.edu and other University of Lynchburg web properties to ensure content is complete, accurate, and updated, and meets best-practice standards for user experience and accessibility
- Oversees architecture of web content on lynchburg.edu, keeping industry best practices in mind
- Assist Director of Communications in training individuals to use WordPress for Red Chair Blogs and other properties
- Works with writers, editors, and Director of Communications to ensure timely updates to web content when needed
- Advises other UCM staff members on web page and news story digital presentation
- Supervises a graduate assistant and/or student workers who assist with web content updates
- Works with Director of Marketing and Director of Communications to review website analytics and identify goals for improving metrics
- Collaborates with other web team members on technical issues regarding the University’s websites
- Responsible for developing content for the University website and training other content website users as appropriate
- Collaborates with Director of Marketing to develop websites for enrollment and individual programs as needed for recruitment
- Collaborates with Director of Communications and other team members to develop content for multiple digital platforms
- Provides technical and content guidance to University departments in order to achieve departmental and University goals
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, communications, marketing, information technology, or a related field
- Four (4) or more years (preferred) of related work experience in web content creation, web design and functionality
- Solid communications and writing skills
- Experience with using WordPress as a content management system, as well as WordPress page builders
- Excellent grammar
- Knowledge of AP style and ability to work with an internal style guide
- Ability to collaborate in small groups, giving and receiving feedback
- Strong understanding of website accessibility standards and user-centered design principles
- Strong knowledge of encoding standards for optimal online delivery of content
- Strong focus on information architecture, strategic content, and user experience
- Commitment to mobile-first web content strategy
- Experience with search-engine optimization and knowledge of emerging trends, including voice search
The selected candidate must successfully pass a background check that is satisfactory to the University.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, a resume, and a University employment application form (https://www.lynchburg.edu/about/jobs/), along with names and contact information of three professional references to: University of Lynchburg, Attn: Human Resources, 1501 Lakeside Drive, Lynchburg, VA 24501, FAX: 434.544.8658 or E-mail: . EOE.
The University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. The University of Lynchburg strives for a diverse and inclusive community; under-represented groups are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to candidates with experience working with a multicultural and diverse student body.