The University of Lynchburg, a private regional university, located in the beautiful foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Central Virginia is seeking a full-time custodian to join our maintenance team.
The custodian reports to, is supervised by, and evaluated by the director of environmental services. The evaluation of work performance will be ongoing and will be carried out by the director of environmental services. It will include the specific duties and responsibilities of this position description plus employee attitude and general working behavior.
- Full-time, benefits eligible
Responsible for performing various housekeeping tasks in student and public areas of the University. The assignments are carried out in accordance with specific instructions (training); however, the custodian is expected to learn the routine (schedule) and to perform with more independence. The supervisor or director will review the work through daily inspections. Mandatory safety requirements and training as established by the department and the University will be expected to be met.
Specific job duties:
- Performs high dusting.
- Performs low dusting.
- Collects all trash and litter from area according to work schedule.
- Cleans all sinks, commodes, brass/metal windows, shower stalls, and shower curtains.
- Performs routine damp cleaning or vacuuming of all furniture.
- Daily vacuums all carpets according to work schedule.
- Routine wet mops all hard surface floors according to work schedule.
- Daily spot cleans all walls and baseboards in lounges, lobbies, kitchens, stairwells, and corridors according to work schedule.
- Replaces all depleted restroom supplies (hand soap, paper towels, etc.).
- Gives general attention to detail work in assigned area or schedule.
- Reports to Environmental Services Department on time, according to work schedule.
- Complies with uniform code for department, unless otherwise approved by Manager.
- Completes projects or work orders on or before established time limits.
- Performs damp cleaning of carpets on a project basis.
- Performs extraction of carpets on a project basis.
- Refinishes floors on a project basis.
- Meets mandatory safety requirements as established by the department and the University.
- Provides courteous communication and cooperation with other Environmental Services employees, staff members, faculty, students, and guests.
- Maintains Environmental Services equipment in a clean and orderly fashion.
- Maintains Environmental Services closet in a clean and orderly fashion.
- Performs other routine project work as requested.
- Performs any other related duties as may be required.
- Generous sick time and family leave, comprehensive insurance (medical, dental, vision, etc.) and retirement plans, flexible spending account, tuition remission, life and long term disability insurance, and more. Learn more about employment benefits at the University of Lynchburg.
- Ability to communicate effectively and have the ability to understand, comprehend and follow directions.
- Must have good teamwork skills.
- Tasks require the ability to stand or walk, with little sitting, and continuously perform the essential job functions for an eight-hour shift, with 2 15-minute breaks and a lunch break. This is a physically demanding job, requiring considerable stooping, kneeling, bending, reaching, and twisting. Work is primarily performed indoors, often in areas without air conditioning. Work is performed on ground level and above ground level, requiring the ability to safely climb ladders up to 15 feet in height. Work requires the ability to safely climb stairs. Work requirements involve lifting or otherwise moving materials or furniture weighing approximately 100 pounds. Occasional overtime, holiday, or weekend work may be required in emergency situations. Tasks use equipment which requires muscular strength and endurance in its normal operation, such as being assigned to use high pressure washer and high level window washing equipment. Time pressures often require the ability to work under stressful, demanding, and winter conditions with little or no supervision. This position is designated as essential personnel as outlined in the Staff Handbook of Personnel Policies and Procedures.
- Two year experience in housekeeping required.
- Knowledge and understanding of proper housekeeping and safety procedures.
- Education facility background preferred.
How to Apply
Submit an employment application and email or mail a résumé, and contact information of three professional references, to:
University of Lynchburg
Office of Human Resources
1501 Lakeside Drive
Lynchburg, VA 24501
The selected candidate must successfully pass a background check that is satisfactory to the University.
We seek candidates who are committed to the University of Lynchburg’s efforts to create an environment that fosters a student-centered environment, develops the breadth of knowledge associated with liberal education, respects and supports diversity, equity, and inclusion, values and celebrates diverse faith traditions, and sustains close working relationships among faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community partners.
The University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from persons of color, women, Indigenous/aboriginal people of North America, persons with disabilities, the LGBTQIA+ community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University of Lynchburg community.
The University of Lynchburg is an equal opportunity employer.