The University of Lynchburg is seeking services for a full time campus safety and security officer. This position provides for the safety and well-being of students, faculty, staff, guests and property through enforcement of university policies and procedures. This position is currently for the late evening power shift or the 11pm to 7am shifts, however, the candidate must have availability and willingness to work a wide variety of shifts, including late night/early morning, weekend and holiday hours.
Provide security services; which includes direct patrol of campus buildings and grounds on foot, includes climbing steps, driving a vehicle, or a bicycle and performing security checks as needed, gives directions, providing first aid, locks and unlocks doors as required. Enforcing the policies and procedures set by the University, state, and local laws.
- Shall submit a written report which is the physical record of an incident deemed to be necessary to document illegal or potentially illegal activity as well as other incident documentation. It is taken by a representative of a campus safety and security department and filed according to University requirements and procedures.
- Provide crowd and/or traffic control during scheduled activities and/or emergency situations.
- Provide access to buildings when requested and verify that such access is authorized.
- Enforce parking regulations throughout the university parking lots. Issues tickets and regulates campus vehicle and pedestrian traffic to enhance safety and expedite traffic flow.
- Maintain a thorough working knowledge of the campus including its topography, buildings, streets, persons and/or organizations.
- Must have the ability to maintain the chain of command.
- Acts as an information resource to university personnel, students and guests.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or greater
- Preferred three years of security, law enforcement or military experience is preferable
- Strong interpersonal communication and writing skills
- Maintain confidential information
- VA DCJS Campus Security Officer Certification (within 180 days of employment)
- CPR/AED Certification(within 30 days of employment)
- Proficient in MS Office products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, and other campus databases)
- Valid driver’s license with favorable driving record
The Candidate Must:
- Exercise sound judgement and work independently
- Multitask in often time stressful situations
- Working knowledge of computer-aided dispatch and records management programs preferred)
The successful candidate must successfully pass a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Review of application materials begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To apply, please complete a University employment application, along with names and contact information of three professional references to: University of Lynchburg, Attn: Human Resources, 1501 Lakeside Drive, Lynchburg, VA 24501 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE.
The University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from persons of color, women, Indigenous/aboriginal people of North America, persons with disabilities, the LGBTQ+ community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University of Lynchburg community.