The University of Lynchburg is seeking services for a full-time campus safety and security officer. This position provides for the safety and well-being of students, faculty, staff, guests, and property through enforcement of university policies and procedures. This position is currently for the late evening power shift or the 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. shifts, however, the candidate must have availability and willingness to work a wide variety of shifts, including late night/early morning, weekend and holiday hours.
Provide security services which include direct patrol of campus buildings and grounds on foot, include climbing steps, driving a vehicle, or a bicycle and performing security checks as needed, gives directions, providing first aid, locks, and unlocks doors as required. Enforcing the policies and procedures set by the University, state, and local laws.
- Shall submit a written report which is the physical record of an incident deemed to be necessary to document illegal or potentially illegal activity as well as other incident documentation. It is taken by a representative of a Campus Safety and Security department and filed according to University requirements and procedures.
- Provide crowd and/or traffic control during scheduled activities and/or emergency situations.
- Provide access to buildings when requested and verify that such access is authorized.
- Enforce parking regulations throughout the university parking lots. Issues tickets and regulates campus vehicle and pedestrian traffic to enhance safety and expedite traffic flow.
- Maintain a thorough working knowledge of the campus including its topography, buildings, streets, persons and/or organizations.
- Must have the ability to maintain the chain of command.
- Acts as an information resource to university personnel, students and guests.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years old
- High school diploma or greater
- Preferred three years of security, law enforcement or military experience is preferable
- Strong interpersonal communication and writing skills
- Maintain confidential information
- VA DCJS Campus Security Officer Certification (within 180 days of employment)
- CPR/AED Certification(within 30 days of employment)
- Proficient in MS Office products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, and other campus databases)
- Valid driver’s license with a favorable driving record
The candidate must:
- Exercise sound judgment and work independently
- Multitask in often time stressful situations
- Working knowledge of computer-aided dispatch and records management programs preferred)
- Generous sick time and family leave, comprehensive insurance (medical, dental, vision, etc.) and retirement plans, flexible spending account, tuition remission, life and long term disability insurance, and more. Learn more about employment benefits at the University of Lynchburg.
How to Apply
Submit an employment application and email or mail contact information of three professional references to:
University of Lynchburg
Office of Human Resources
1501 Lakeside Drive
Lynchburg, VA 24501
Review of application materials begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. The successful candidate must successfully pass a background check that is satisfactory to the University.
The University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from persons of color, women, Indigenous/aboriginal people of North America, persons with disabilities, the LGBTQIA+ community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University of Lynchburg community.
The University of Lynchburg is an equal opportunity employer.