The University of Lynchburg is looking for a Benefits Specialist to join our team to assist with the administration of all benefits and retirement programs, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, flexible spending and health savings accounts, paid time off, long-term disability, and 403(b) retirement plan, as well as payroll benefits deductions/contributions review. Human Resources is fast-paced, requiring an ability to juggle multiple tasks.
The successful candidate must have excellent communication skills and organizational skills as well as be a self-starter and detail oriented. Computer experience, specifically with the Microsoft Office suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) and Google applications.
- Assist with new-hire orientations
- Oversee the Open Enrollment process
- Oversee Healthy Hornets Wellness Program
- Ensure the accuracy of all benefits enrollments in the HRIS to provide vendors with accurate eligibility information
- Perform quality checks of benefits-related data
- Respond to benefits inquiries from managers and employees on plan provisions, benefits enrollments, status changes and other general inquiries.
- Process leave-of-absence requests and disability paperwork: disability and FMLA
- Process verification of employment requests
- Extensive knowledge of employee benefits and applicable laws
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite or similar software
- Ability to work independently; effectively manage multiple responsibilities; meet deadlines; exercise independent judgment and initiative; pay attention to detail in accordance with established policies and procedures; perform basic mathematical calculations
- Strong ethics and discretion for dealing with confidential, sensitive information
- Public speaking for benefit presentations and overviews
- Ability to work with diverse populations
Required Education and Experience:
- Associates degree in HR or related field (other training/certification may be substituted for the education)
- At least 3+ years of experience in HR and/or benefits administration
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at a time
- Full-time, Hourly/non-exempt, benefits eligible
Normal Hours and Work Schedule:
- 7.5 hours/day from 8:30 to 5:00 with overtime as required.
To apply, please submit a University staff application form, résumé, along with names and contact information of three business references to: The University of Lynchburg, Human Resources, 1501 Lakeside Drive, Lynchburg, VA 24501 or email: email@example.com. The selected candidate must successfully pass a background check. EOE.
The University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from persons of color, women, Indigenous/aboriginal people of North America, persons with disabilities, the LGBTQ+ community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University of Lynchburg community.