The University of Lynchburg, a private regional university, located in the beautiful foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Central Virginia is seeking a full-time athletic trainer.
The athletic trainer reports to, is supervised by, and evaluated by the director of athletic training services. The evaluation of work performance will be ongoing and will be carried out by the director of athletic training services.
University of Lynchburg is a highly successful NCAA Division III institution and charter member of the Old Dominion Athletic Conference.
- Full-time, benefits eligible
- August 1, 2022
- To provide clinical application and administration of comprehensive health care for student-athletes as assigned by the director of athletic training services.
Specific job duties:
The successful candidate will be an integral part of the sports medicine team who must build professional relationships with student-athletes, athletic and University department staff, parents, and the medical community. Responsibilities include:
- Coordination and delivery of medical coverage and services for assigned teams including prevention, recognition, evaluation and treatment of athletic injuries, practice and event coverage, acute care and emergency response to athletic injuries, rehabilitation and reconditioning of student athletes, and health care administration.
- Communication with team physicians, coaching staff, strength and conditioning staff, and others regarding the health status of student athletes.
- Supervision and evaluation of athletic training students as a preceptor within the University’s Master of Science in Athletic Training Program.
- Generous sick time and family leave, comprehensive insurance (medical, dental, vision, etc.) and retirement plans, flexible spending account, tuition remission, life and long term disability insurance, and more. Learn more about employment benefits at the University of Lynchburg.
- Typically 7.5 hours/day with evening, weekends and occasional travel to meet needs of the program required.
- Ability to communicate effectively and understand, comprehend and follow directions.
- Maintain a high degree of professionalism.
- Excellent time management skills and the flexibility to work in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to think critically and make independent decisions regarding the assessment and rehabilitation of athletic injuries and the overall management of student athlete health care.
- This position requires both sedentary work and long durations of movement about the workspace. It requires the ability to move and transport objects and equipment weighing up to 25 pounds. This person must be able to perform the essential tasks with or without an accommodation.
- BOC certified athletic trainer, master’s degree in athletic training or related field, eligible for Virginia state licensure, certified in CPR/AED for professional rescuer.
- At least two years of experience as a certified athletic trainer.
How to Apply
Submit an employment application and email or mail a letter of application and contact information of three professional references, to:
University of Lynchburg
Office of Human Resources
1501 Lakeside Drive
Lynchburg, VA 24501
Please include Caroline Wesley Siler, director of athletic training, on all communication:
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. The selected candidate must successfully pass a background check that is satisfactory to the University.
We seek candidates who are committed to the University of Lynchburg’s efforts to create an environment that fosters a student-centered environment, develops the breadth of knowledge associated with liberal education, respects and supports diversity, equity, and inclusion, values and celebrates diverse faith traditions, and sustains close working relationships among faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community partners.
The University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from persons of color, women, Indigenous/aboriginal people of North America, persons with disabilities, the LGBTQIA+ community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University of Lynchburg community.
The University of Lynchburg is an equal opportunity employer.