The University of Lynchburg, a private regional university located in the beautiful foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in central Virginia, is seeking a full-time Admissions Counselor to join our Enrollment Services team.
The Admissions Counselor reports to, is supervised by, and is evaluated by the Director of Admissions. The evaluation of work performance will be ongoing and will be carried out by the Director of Admissions. It will include the specific duties and responsibilities of this position description plus employee attitude and general working behavior.
Job Type: Full-Time, Non-Exempt (eligible for overtime), Benefits Eligible
Job Purpose: To assist the Admissions team in recruiting right-fit students to meet enrollment goals.
Specific Job Duties:
- Plan, manage, and execute recruitment strategies in designated geographical territory in order to meet individual recruitment goals.
- Utilize phone, email, and text to reach out to prospective students to build relationships that lead to enrollment.
- Outreach to community-based organizations, school counselors, and independent counselors to develop referral relationships.
- Review applicants and make admissions decisions.
- Use the Customer Relationship Management system to track interactions and conversations in order to personalize outreach.
- Conduct on-campus interviews and provide presentations in group settings to prospective students and families.
- Attend and participate in recruitment events on and off campus.
- Develop long-standing, productive relationships with school counselors and community based organizations. Design opportunities to bring students and counselors to campus.
- Actively contribute to team-based decision-making, planning and program implementation.
- Develop and maintain data related to assigned recruitment territory. Use data to inform decision-making about territory recruitment.
- Participate as an active member in appropriate national and regional organizations for professional development.
- Serve on-campus committees and working groups for programs related to enrollment and student development, such as those for orientation, leadership institute, retention, etc.
- Performs other duties as may be required.
Starting Salary Range: $35,000 annually
Benefits: Generous paid vacation, personal days, and paid sick time and family leave, comprehensive insurance (medical, dental, vision, etc.) and retirement plans, flexible spending account, tuition remission, life and long term disability insurance, and more. Learn more about employment benefits at the University of Lynchburg.
Schedule: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (7.5 hours/day) with some evenings and Saturdays required to meet needs of the department.
- Strong motivation to initiate communication and meet target recruitment goals.
- Ability to build relationships with diverse groups of people, particularly students who have been historically underserved in higher education.
- Ability to communicate effectively and have the ability to understand, comprehend, and follow directions.
- Must have good teamwork skills.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs.
- 1-2 years of professional experience in a sales, marketing, recruitment, coaching or other goal-oriented role.
- Valid Virginia driver’s license is required.
- Strong preference for Spanish language proficiency.
- Experience in a college setting.
Education: Bachelor’s degree
Work Remotely: No
How to Apply
Submit an employment application and email or mail a résumé, and contact information of three professional references, to:
University of Lynchburg
Attn: Human Resources
1501 Lakeside Drive
Lynchburg, VA 24501
References will be checked prior to employment. The selected candidate must successfully pass a background check that is satisfactory to the University.
We seek candidates who are committed to the University of Lynchburg’s efforts to create an environment that fosters a student-centered environment, develops the breadth of knowledge associated with liberal education, respects and supports diversity, equity, and inclusion, values and celebrates diverse faith traditions, and sustains close working relationships among faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community partners.
The University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from persons of color, women, Indigenous/aboriginal people of North America, persons with disabilities, the LGBTQIA+ community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University of Lynchburg community.
The University of Lynchburg is an equal opportunity employer.