The University of Lynchburg, a private regional university located in the beautiful foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in central Virginia, is accepting applications for an administrative assistant. This is a full-time, 37.5 hours per week, 12-month position, with competitive benefits as health, dental, tuition remission, etc. We are looking for a friendly and professional team-player who will serve as the receptionist and complete administrative tasks as data entry and documentation coordination. The administrative assistant will report to the director of financial aid.
- Serves as the principal receptionist by greeting the public and answering the telephone in a friendly and professional manner.
- Proactively works to facilitate communication between visitors and staff. Provides excellent customer service to individuals in person, on the phone and in email.
- Performs general clerical support functions. Functions include but are not limited to scheduling meetings, maintaining department calendar, opening and distributing mail, ordering supplies, placing work orders, data entry, and responding to email and voicemail.
- Assists the financial aid staff in distributing accurate financial aid information to parents and students.
- Accurately maintains student files, both physical and computerized.
- Enters and updates applications (VTAG, etc.). Collects verification forms/tax returns.
- Routinely runs the award packaging program to capture all complete applications to be packaged. Prints the award letters, assembles financial aid award packets, mails award letters and other appropriate forms to families.
- Collects and enters financial aid data, as well as, receipt of entrance and exit counseling forms via online, person or mail.
- Process office correspondence consisting of reports, letters to students and parents, etc.
- Responsible for immediate supervision of student workers, work assignments, and evaluations.
- Coordinates financial aid workshops with high school counselors.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by financial aid staff.
Equipment/software used (training will be available):
- Google Workspace
- University database system
- Windows operating system
- Multi-line telephone
The functions of this position are usually performed sitting, but may involve some amount of time walking. Some amount of stooping, kneeling, bending, lifting, or carrying may be required. Tasks such as working at a computer keyboard involve extensive wrist and hand movement. Much contact with employees and the general public. The normal work schedule is 37.5 hours per week.
- One year office customer service experience, including significant phone support and data entry.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a supportive, calm service demeanor when dealing with concerned students/parents/clients.
- Demonstrated ability to operate with a high level of confidentiality and discretion.
- High school diploma or equivalent and computer skills training.
How to Apply
Submit an employment application and email or mail a cover letter, résumé and contact information of three professional references, to:
University of Lynchburg
Office of Human Resources
1501 Lakeside Drive
Lynchburg, VA 24501
The selected candidate must successfully pass a background check that is satisfactory to the University.
The University of Lynchburg is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from persons of color, women, Indigenous/aboriginal people of North America, persons with disabilities, the LGBTQIA+ community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University of Lynchburg community.
The University of Lynchburg is an equal opportunity employer.