All verbs have five forms except the verb to be, which has eight. Here are the five forms using the verbs to help and the irregular verb to give:
- Base form: help, give
- Past tense: helped, gave
- Past participle: helped, given
- Present participle: helping, giving
- Present tense, 3rd person singular (-s form): helps, gives
Other verb forms include:
- Perfect tense: have, has + past participle
- Past Perfect: had + past participle
- Progressive: form of to be + present participle
*Some verbs in the English language, like verbs that are a state of being or of mental action, are not used in the progressive form.
- Passive voice: form of to be + past participle
- Verb + gerund (used as noun and ending in -ing), or infinitive (to + verb)
- Phrasal verb(two-word verb): cannot be understood literally, but expresses idiomatic meaning.
Write a sentence for each of the 5 basic verb forms.
- Base Form: Did you shop at the mall yesterday?
- Past Tense: I shopped at the mall yesterday.
- Past Participle: I have shopped at the mall yesterday.
- Present Particlple: I am shopping at the mall today.
- Present tense: Who shops at the mall today?
Created by Dana Jones