Work Experience and Internships
Work Experience at LC
Our students get experience not only as performers but also by working as office assistant, assistant to Wind Symphony director, assistant to choral director, multimedia coordinator, and multimedia assistant.
Many of these jobs pay modestly through work-study or student employment arrangements while providing knowledge and experience that can help when searching for a job after graduation.
Ask the music office about the opportunities; individual faculty and staff members, too, may have a special need for your non-performance skills and interests.
Internships in Music
Students who desire to pursue an internship in music may enroll in Music 450-451. Internships in the discipline should provide opportunities for practical applications of music in the professional world.
Possible internships areas and sites include:
- Local Churches: vocal soloists, vocal sectional leaders, organist, pianist, choral directing of children, youth, and adults
- Opera on the James: sing in chorus or small roles, management support, assistant to directors
- Music Merchandising: in area businesses
- Music Management: office assistant, music librarian
- Music in the Theatre: stage assistant; sing chorus, small roles, or major roles (by audition only); instrumental playing (by audition only), assistant to Music Director; accompanist
- Music in Education: teacher aid in music; accompanist; provide music services to special education populations for agencies such as Lynchburg ARC Development Center, Central Virginia Training Center, Altavista Adult Home, Guggenheimer Nursing Home, Medical Care Center