Pay and Work Study Awards

Getting Paid

Payroll is processed on the Monday of pay week for hours worked the preceding two weeks.

Paydays are Fridays.

Checks/vouchers are sent to your campus box. If you do not have a campus box, your check will be sent to the department. If you are set up for direct deposit, your pay should appear in your bank or credit union account by 9 a.m. on paydays.

Keeping track of the time that you work

Lynchburg College has two time card recording systems – Infotronics time clock system and web-based time card. It is your responsibility to record the hours that you work (unless you are told otherwise by your supervisor).

If your department uses Infotronics, you will record hours by swiping your LC ID card.

Most departments use the web-based time-card recording system. Go to

Your supervisor must authorize your time by 9:30 a.m. on the Monday of pay week.

Hours submitted after the deadline may not be processed until the next biweekly payroll.

Pay Levels and Hourly Rates
Pay Level Classification Hourly Rate Description
1 Standard $7.25 Entry level with on-the-job-training provided
2 Specialized $7.35 Relevant job-related experience & technology required
3 Leadership $7.50 Advanced technical knowledge and experience required
4 Elected/Stipend varies Elected or stipend positions such as SAB and SGA
5 Graduate Assistants varies Students enrolled in a master’s degree program
6 Residence Life Staff $8.00 – $10.90 Resident Assistants and Hall Directors
*7 Assistant Supervisor $7.35 Limited supervisory responsibilities
*8 Supervisor $7.50 Advanced supervisory responsibilities
*Note: Students at Level 7 and 8 have an additional $200 added to his or her award maximum

Pay Increases

You may qualify for an hourly rate increase if your position has a substantial change in responsibilities or increased job skills.

Your supervisor should revise your position description and submit a request to the Student Employment Office for review and approval.

Employment Benefits

Students employed in the work-study program are covered under Worker’s Compensation for job-related injuries. They should not work more than 20 hours a week during the academic week or 40 hours a week during the summer.

Students are compensated only for hours worked (no holiday pay). Students do not accrue sick leave or vacation time.

Working During Breaks

You may work during winter and spring breaks if your supervisor authorizes you to work. However, earnings during these periods will count toward your work-study award.

Students are not authorized to work more than 40 hours per week.

Work Study Awards

Your award is based on your enrollment classification. (There are exceptions to these amounts for Connection and PASS Leaders, Student Government, Student Activities Board officers and Residence Life Staff.)

The maximum amounts are as follows:

  • Freshman: $1,500
  • Sophomore: $1,700
  • Junior: $1,900
  • Senior: $2,100


You will receive a Student Employment Salary letter indicating the average number of hours you should work each week. The hours you work may fluctuate based on the needs of the department. The Student Employment Coordinator and your supervisors monitor earnings throughout the year.

Students will be allowed to earn up to their award maximum.

If you wish to earn the maximum work-study award, you should average the following number of hours each week:

  • Freshmen: 7 hours
  • Sophomores: 8 hours
  • Juniors: 9 hours
  • Seniors: 10 hours

What happens if I earned my award before the end of the academic year?

  • Once the student has earned his/her maximum for the academic year, the student will be terminated from the work-study program for the remainder of the academic year.
  • Students are urged to work the requested average hours per week to prevent reaching their work-study award before the end of the academic year.
  • The supervisor may request an exception for a student to continue working (providing funds are available).
  • Supervisors should contact the Student Employment Office for more details.

What happens if I do not earn all of my award?

  • Any work-study funds not earned at the end of the academic year will be forfeited and do not carry over to the next year.
  • Unearned work-study will not be made up by other sources of financial aid.

Will I be taxed on my Student Employment earnings?

  • Yes, income earned through the Work-Study Program is taxable.
  • You will receive a W-2 (Wage and Earnings Statement) by January 31 for your earnings in the previous calendar year.
  • You should include these earnings on appropriate tax returns.
  • If you are enrolled full-time, you are exempt from FICA (social security taxes) during the academic year.
  • During the summer, you must be enrolled at least six (6) credit hours during a summer term to maintain this exempt status during the summer.