The Student Judicial Board (SJB) resolves cases of alleged infractions of the Honor and Student Conduct Codes, as assigned by the Office of the Dean of Students. SJB members are selected through application and interview processes. For each Student Judicial Board hearing, five SJB members, including a chairperson, serve on the hearing panel. Other members may participate in the hearing as hearing advisors.
Two Student Judicial Board chairpersons provide leadership to SJB and facilitate hearings. During the fall and spring semesters, SJB chairpersons also resolve student appeal requests related to traffic and parking violations. At his/her discretion, a chairperson may arrange for a judicial board advisor to attend, observe, and assist SJB during a hearing, including during private deliberations.
Qualifications for the position of SJB chairperson include prior service on SJB for at least two semesters and classification as a junior before or during the term of office. The Student Judicial Board chairpersons for 2014-2015 are:
Chelsea Stern ’15
Lavender Williams ’15
Students serving on the Lynchburg College Student Judicial Board provide vital leadership to the College community by upholding standards of academic and behavioral excellence and by enforcing College policies in an educational and equitable manner.
Service on the board is a challenging and satisfying way to enhance your academic experiences. Through participation in training activities, case resolution, and programs for the campus community, board members develop valuable skills that are directly transferable to other leadership positions and to professional work settings. Skills enhanced through board service include communication, analysis, decision making, teamwork, effective listening, policy interpretation, and problem solving.
Responsibilities of a Student Judicial Board Member
- To promote integrity, positive citizenship, responsible behavior, and respect for others
- To uphold the Honor and Student Conduct Codes and Regulations
- To serve as a hearing advisor, helping students to understand College policies and disciplinary procedures
- To serve as a panel member, hearing and weighing the facts of a case. Panel members work together to determine degree of responsibility and appropriate sanctions.
- QPA of 2.5 or higher (cumulative and for each semester of membership)
- Good academic and disciplinary standing (i.e., not on any type of probation)
- Commitment to the Honor and Student Conduct Codes and related disciplinary procedures
- Completion of all training requirements
- Active participation in weekly SJB meetings (held Wednesdays, 5:30-6:30 p.m.) and in hearings
- No affiliation with an unrecognized student group
Applicants must complete a written application and an individual interview with the current Student Judicial Board chairpersons.