Snidow Chapel is the spiritual center of the College and the location of worship services and musical performances throughout the year. The sanctuary holds more than 400 people.
The chapel was built in 1966 and is named in honor of Lynchburg College benefactors Clifton L. Snidow Sr., member of the College Board of Trustees (1906-28), and his wife, Sallie E. Snidow.
In honor of the 50th anniversary year of Snidow Chapel, the College has embarked upon a campaign to restore the Snidow Chapel pipe organ.
We are grateful to Larry R. Arrington ’71 and Betty Hawkins Arrington ’64 for a challenge gift of $100,000 to encourage others to support this important initiative. In addition, Seventh Street Christian Church Foundation in Richmond has pledged $50,000 toward the campaign, and many other donors have contributed. The College has planned a series of organ recitals to celebrate the Chapel’s 50th anniversary and the organ restoration.
Also located in the chapel are the Hebb Music Center and the Helen Wood Recital Hall.
Snidow Chapel is available for weddings and receptions on a limited basis.
Saving Grace Art Quilt
A focal point of the sanctuary is an art quilt, “Saving Grace,” created by Jill Jensen – her largest art quilt to date.
Measuring approximately 14 by 7 feet, the quilt features Christian crosses on one side and symbols of world religions on the other.
The crosses are canvas painted in muted colors, while the religious symbols are made of cotton and painted in bright shades of green, purple, and red – the colors of the Christian liturgical calendar.
From a distance the quilt looks like one image, but close up, numerous religious icons appear representing Buddhism, Native Americanism, Judaism, and others. “This conveys that we all work together,” says Jensen, “regardless of faith.”