Student Judicial Board and Administrative Board hearings are conducted according to the following outline, except in cases of possible sexual misconduct (see Sexual Misconduct Policy and Response Procedures):
- Call to order;
- Signing of the Honesty Statement;
- Determination of whether the hearing is open or closed to the campus community (current Lynchburg College students, faculty, and staff only). A hearing may be open to the campus community only if both the charged student(s) and the accuser agree. When the College investigates a case, the Office of the Dean of Students or appropriate designee adopts the role of accuser. For any hearing, only current Lynchburg College students, faculty, and staff may attend.
- Reading of the charge(s) to be considered;
- Statement by the charged student of whether he/she is not responsible or responsible for the alleged policy violation(s);
- Presentation of information concerning charge(s), including the following components if relevant to the hearing but not necessarily in this order:
- Investigation report;
- Information from witnesses;
- Information from the charged student concerning his/her account;
- Information from character reference;
- Questions by judicial board members; and/or
- Questions suggested by the charged student;
- Summary comments by the charged student, if he/she elects to make them;
- Break for private judicial board deliberation. If the board determines that the charged student is responsible for one or more infractions, the board then also determines appropriate sanctions. If the hearing panel needs additional information to determine appropriate sanctions, the board may invite the charged student to return to the hearing room to respond to additional questions.
- Oral presentation of the board's decision(s), which the charged student may elect to attend.
If a charged student fails to attend his/her hearing after being provided with adequate notice, the hearing will proceed in the student's absence and a decision will be made by the judicial board.