Personal Safety Tips
All students, employees, and campus visitors are encouraged to take responsibility for their own security and the security of others. The following common-sense practices help protect everyone on campus:
- Walk with a friend, especially at night. If a companion is unavailable at night, you may call Campus Safety and Security (434.544.8100) for an escort.
- Know the people you visit, whether on or off campus.
- Close and lock ground floor windows when you are not in your campus residence or office.
- If you bring a vehicle to campus, keep the windows rolled up and the doors locked at all times. If you leave valuables in your car, lock them in the trunk where they can not been seen by others. If you need an escort from your car to an on-campus destination, use an emergency telephone to contact Campus Safety and Security (see "Emergency Telephones").
- If you are working in an academic building or office at night or during weekend hours when the area is usually locked, notify Campus Safety and Security (434.544.8100 or dial "0" from any campus land-line telephone) so that officers are aware of your presence in the event of an emergency.
- Be aware and concerned about use and abuse of alcohol and other drugs. Sexual assaults and other violent acts occur more often when people are under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
- Anyone needing emergency assistance on campus can reach Campus Safety and Security Office at any time by dialing emergency extension 5555 from any land-line telephone on campus, by dialing 434.544.5555 from a cell phone or off-campus phone, or by using an emergency telephone located on campus. (see "Emergency Telephones"). Dial 911 for local police and fire emergency assistance at off-campus locations.
- Firearms and/or weapons of any type, including concealed weapons for which the carrier has a legal permit, are strictly prohibited on campus. Weapons include but are not limited to firearms (e.g., BB guns, pellet guns, Airsoft guns, paintball guns, handguns and rifles), knives, bows and arrows, and martial arts weapons. Contact Campus Safety and Security immediately to report the presence of weapons on campus. (Exceptions to this policy may be made when there is a legitimate, authorized, classroom-based need exist.)
- Pay attention to information about crime prevention and enhancing personal safety provided on campus. Knowledge of safety precautions and resources can make a difference in a crisis.