Open Water Certification
April 20, 26, 27
College and community are welcome;
Class size limited to 10
(4 spaces left as of Dec. 17!)
$325: LC students and employees
Lynchburg College (classroom session), Bedford Area Family YMCA (pool session), Lake Rawlings (open water sessions)
In this course, you will learn the fundamentals of scuba diving, including dive equipment and dive techniques, through e-learning knowledge development sessions, pool sessions, and open water dives. Upon successful completion of the course, you'll earn your open water certification. See the open water course details page for more information. Classes are scheduled through the year. Call us at 434.544.8224 if these dates do not meet your schedule.
- E-learning classroom (based on fully completed "Knowledge Reviews")
- Pool instruction at the YMCA (8 to 10 hours)
- 4 open water dives at Lake Rawlings, Virginia or another appropriate site
Semi-private and private classes are scheduled according to student needs and can be done in as little as one weekend, depending on class size and student performance.
- Group Class - E-learning-based individual home study and completed knowledge reviews, plus pool sessions and open water dives with a group (maximum class size - 10).
- Semi-Private - E-learning home study as above and one-on-one with an instructor for pool work, then join a regular class for the open water dives (add $250).
- Private - E-learning home study as above, then one-on one with an instructor for all pool and open water dives (add $450).
Course Fee Provides:
- E-learning with on-line quizzes and knowledge reviews
- Use of pool and gear (mask, fins, snorkel, booties, air tank, buoyancy control device, regulator with computer)
- Pool fees
- Instructor fees
- Use of gear for open water certification dives
- Mask, fins, snorkel, booties, wetsuit, tank (air), buoyancy control device (BCD), regulator with computer
- Certification fee (lifetime certification)
- Entrance fees at Lake Rawlings ($27.50 per day) or other local open water designated site up to two days. If additional days are needed for certification, students pay access fees.
Available at added cost of $30: Personal log book eRDPml (electronic dive planner multilevel).
Minimum 10 years of age.
Interested in college academic credit? This course is approved through the outdoor minor as an elective for credit.