Although the program does not at this time offer a special track in public history, our students have the opportunity to take a seminar in public history and to pursue individual internships and research that will enhance their skills in public history. In the near future we hope to offer a graduate seminar in museum studies.
Numerous local historical sites make this a particularly rich area for public history.
In close proximity:
- Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest
- The Lynchburg Museum System (including the Old Courthouse)
- The Legacy Museum of African American history and culture
- The Old City Cemetery
- Point of Honor
- The Claytor Nature Studies Center
- The National D-Day Memorial
- The Booker T. Washington Monument
- Patrick Henry's Red Hill
- Appomattox Court House