Master of Arts in English
MA English students deepen their knowledge of literature and develop professional abilities in literary analysis and writing. Program strengths include eco-literature and writing; Appalachian and southern literature and writing; transnational literature; and gender studies.
The MA prepares you for:
- Further graduate study in English
- Teaching in secondary schools and colleges
- Professional writing and editing
- Further study and careers in fields requiring critical analysis, creative thinking, literary knowledge, or the ability to communicate in precise, persuasive prose.
The seminar-style courses engage you in rigorous intellectual and aesthetic studies of literature and creative writing. In researching and writing the thesis, you will work individually with faculty to complete an in-depth critical study or creative work.
Our 36-hour program includes:
- Diverse critical approaches to the study of literature and language
- Master's thesis
- Enrichment opportunities through the Thornton Writing Program, which brings creative writers to campus to read and teach
- Editing, publication, and conference presentation opportunities with LC's professional literary magazine, the James Dickey Review
- Graduate assistantships
- Competitive funding to present work at regional and national conferences
If you have questions concerning graduate admissions, financial aid, or related considerations, you can also contact the Office of Graduate Studies at 434.544.8383 or email@example.com.