Shared File Space
Shared file space is available to students, faculty, and staff. Your shared file space is available to you when you log into the College network.
This file space may be used in a variety of ways; for example, you may wish to:
- Prepare web pages for viewing by others. Such pages can be stored in shared file space and delivered by one of the servers maintained by ITR.
- Save and retrieve via FTP. By placing such files in shared file space, they are available for reading and/or writing regardless of the individual's location.
- Make backup copies of important information. Using shared file space for such backups helps make them available even if the individual's personal computer fails.
You can use up to 50 megabytes of shared file space. If you exceed this space, you will be contacted and will be expected to reduce the amount of shared file space your using. Information Technology and Resources staff may find it necessary to reduce or eliminate excessive disk usage.
Your file space contains 4 directories. Each of these directories has unique security attributes:
- Your public directory permits read access to everyone who knows how to access network file space. You are the only one who can write files in this directory.
- Your local directory permits read access to everyone who knows how to access network file space and can present a valid Lynchburg College network username/password pair. You are the only one who can write files in this directory. Note that "Local" files are available off campus; the only requirement is a valid username and password.
- Your private directory permits read and write access only to you. This directory would be the one you would use for backup storage.
- Your special directory is configured to allow ITR technical assistants to write to it.
You may create additional subdirectories. Subdirectories created under system-created directories inherit the security attributes applied to the parent directory.
Nothing can be written to shared file space by anonymous Internet users.