Information for International Students with Children
(Updated 1/9/12; information is subject to periodic changes)
Frequently Asked Questions
Are children allowed in campus housing?
Lynchburg College has a strict policy that does not allow children in college-owned houses and residence halls. However, international students with children have the option of living off campus.
Does Lynchburg College (LC) furnish students with off-campus housing?
LC does not furnish students with off-campus housing. You are responsible for securing off-campus housing.
There are some opportunities to rent rooms in private houses or apartments. You should plan to work well in advance to determine what is available in the housing market, indicating proximity to the campus. (Online sources may help). However, we have no formal means to connect persons with these opportunities. Please note that if you choose to rent off-campus, you will be responsible for carrying the lease (typically 12 months minimum) on the property.
Dependent upon location, these houses or apartments are typically unfurnished and may or may not be within walking distance of the College. Owning a vehicle expands your opportunity for housing significantly. Costs for houses vary significantly. In recent times, leases have ranged from about $550-$900 U.S. monthly, for a two-bedroom house. You may also opt to have a house-mate to share the cost of a house/apartment.
Other important notes for off-campus housing:
If you do not intend to purchase a vehicle, please consider the following:
- proximity of your house/apartment from the College,
- the fact that graduate classes go from 4:30-7 p.m. and 7 - 9:30 p.m.,
- walking during winter, rain, etc.
You may also want to look into whether the Lynchburg bus system services the route that you live on. For more information visit: http://www.gltconline.com/
- The option to purchase a vehicle opens up your choices significantly.
- Renters are expected to carry the lease for their house/apartment for the expected period of time or any other time agreed upon by the parties involved. (Often but not always tenants are expected to sign a lease for the period of one year in the first instance, then month to month thereafter).
- Your first month's rent usually includes a deposit paid to the landlord prior to moving in. This deposit may be refunded upon inspection of the premise when you terminate the lease. (Contact your landlord for further information).
- On signing your lease, utility bills must be changed to reflect the name of the new lease holder. There is a charge involved. For more information you may visit https://www.aepaccount.com/zipr/StartAndStopService/Default.aspx (for electric company) and http://www.lynchburgva.gov/Index.aspx?page=4568 for the water company.
- Some houses/apartments come equipped with a refrigerator and stove. Please be prepared, however, to furnish your house/apartment yourself with necessities. (e.g., kitchen utensils, furniture, bed, etc.).
- Unfurnished houses generally cost in the range of $450-$900. Furnished houses cost significantly more.
- Plan to be in Lynchburg ahead of time so you are able to make all the above arrangements
Transportation in Lynchburg
The Greater Lynchburg Transit Company (GLTC) operates buses within the city of Lynchburg. Currently LC students travel on these buses for free by showing their College ID cards. These public buses service many areas including the College. Information on the bus routes is available from http://www.gltconline.com/.
How do I get further information about immigration status for my child and me?
Immigration status for Lynchburg College is coordinated through the Office of Enrollment Services (Sharon Walters-Bower, 434.544.8439 or email@example.com) and the Center for Global Education (Alex Akulli, 434.544.8688 or Akulli.A@lynchburg.edu).
International students are encouraged to make direct connections to begin the process of receiving a student visa well in advance of the projected time of enrollment. Please note that arrangements must also be made separately for visa requirements for your child, meaning that your child will not be allowed into the U.S on the parent's visa. For more information, please refer to the Department of Homeland Security's U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services' (USCIS) website at: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis.
Can my child be admitted into high school/middle school/elementary school? What would I need to do?
International students who are living in the city of Lynchburg may send their child to Lynchburg City Schools at no expense, as long as they can show that they have established residence in the city. For further information, contact Patty Ferington at Lynchburg City Schools. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1.434.522.3700, Ext. 189.
Depending upon location within the city, your child may also be able to ride the city school buses (free) for pick-up and delivery on a daily basis.
Are there preschool and child-care services in close proximity to the College?
There are child-care facilities available within 10-15 minutes' walk of LC. Again, opportunities open up significantly if one is mobile. Tuition ranges from about $75 - $100 U.S. per week. Opening hours typically range from 6 a.m. - 5 or 6 p.m. If your child will be 4 years old by September of that year, you may consider enrolling him/her in prekindergarten at a city elementary school. There are two schools within 1.5 miles of the College. These are typically open from 8:45 a.m. - 3:50 p.m. Please be aware that classes for graduate students take place one night per week during the evenings from 4:30-7, 6-8:30, and 7-9:30 p.m. As a result, you may need babysitting services. Lynchburg College does not provide such services. You will want to explore these options thoroughly (e.g. recruit students as babysitters) in order to ensure that you will have appropriate support for your child while you are in classes.
Is there insurance coverage for my child and me?
Some students have retained their medical insurance from their home country because they are still covered while studying in the U.S. However, should you decide to buy U.S. insurance, brochures are available at the international office on our campus. The student is responsible for finding a carrier and a plan.
Are there any health-care facilities on campus and at what cost to parents with a child or children?
There are health-care facilities available to students on campus; however, there are no services available for children.
What meal plans are available for parents with children and does the menu accommodate children?
There is no formal arrangement for meal plans which include your child. However, students' meal plans may have up to 3 guest passes which may be used for an occasional meal on campus. In addition, individual meals can always be purchased for breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner. The individual meal charges are very reasonable in the College dining hall.
We look forward to working with you as you continue your education at Lynchburg College.