- Review the available assistantships (PDF).
- Complete the online application for graduate assistantship. The application is forwarded to the Student Employment Office. Assistantships are very competitive, so you should apply early. Selection of GAs begins annually in February.
- Once you are accepted into a graduate program, the Student Employment Office will forward a copy of your application to the designated program area. Do not enter "any available" as a choice or your application will not be processed. List options where you would enjoy working and would benefit from the experience.
- Supervisors hiring in specific program areas will contact you directly if they are interested in interviewing you. You may call supervisors directly to learn more about opportunities. If you are selected for an assistantship, the program area makes a recommendation to the Dean of Graduate Studies.
- After the recommendation has been approved for processing, you will be issued a contract and job description. Contact the Student Employment Office at 434.544.8142 to schedule an appointment to complete the I-9, direct deposit and tax forms.
- If you have any questions regarding your assistantship (after you have been notified that you have been recommended), please contact the program area in which the assistantship is located.
Room and Board
Room and board compensation is offered to those GAs who have "live in" responsibilities supervising on-campus student life. Room and board options are currently only offered for Student Development GAs and one Academic GA position.
The room portion offers a room or apartment for a full year. The board portion offers the 160-meal plan for the academic year (August through May).