Frequently Asked Questions for International Students

What are the requirements for admission to master's degree graduate programs?

See the graduate international admissions requirements page.

What are the requirements for the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program?

See the DPT admissions requirements page.

What are the requirements for the EdD in Leadership Studies Program?

See the EdD admissions requirements page.

What are the requirements for the Physician Assistant Medicine Program?

See the PA admissions requirements page.

What is the admissions process?

An applicant submits an application with the $30 application fee directly to Enrollment Services or by applying online (application fee is waived). When the application file is complete, it is sent to the Admissions Committee for review. Notification of admissions decision is sent in writing to the applicant.

What does the enrollment committee consider when making admission decisions?

Grade point average (undergraduate), graduate coursework (if applicable), GRE or GMAT test scores, letters of recommendation, writing samples, and a record of work experience are among the items the admission committee reviews. Specific requirements vary by program.

Where can an applicant get information regarding the GRE and GMAT examinations (for programs that require these test scores)?

Please see the following websites for specific information on these exams: 

When are applications and any applicable fees due?

See the graduate international admissions requirements page.
DPT students, see also the DPT admissions requirements.

What financial forms are required for international students?

Students need to submit the following items:

  1. Certificate of Finances. To obtain this document and costs for your specific graduate program, please contact Sarah B. Sossou, associate director of international admissions, 434.544.8263 or
  2. Financial Resources Verification. The letter should be written on the bank's letterhead stationery and provide support for the certificate of finances. It should indicate how long the person has been a member of the bank and if he/she has adequate funds to support projected costs for attending Lynchburg College.

What is the deposit for international students?

Upon admissions to the College, a $300 deposit is due. After we receive your deposit, we will prepare the document required by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services which you will need to secure your F-1 student visa at the United States Consulate in your country. The process of securing a student visa often takes several months, so we encourage you to submit your deposit right away. Once you have registered for classes and enrolled, the $300 will be used as credit towards your tuition account.

How can I apply for a Graduate Assistantship?

See our graduate assistantship page.

Can I obtain housing and meals at Lynchburg College?

Lynchburg College offers a limited number of housing options for international students. There are two houses, one for males and one for females, within walking distance of the campus that are available for 6 month lease terms. For additional information, please contact the Office of Graduate Studies at  or 434.544.8464.

Students can obtain a meal plan for the academic year which varies in cost depending upon the number of weekly meals on the plan. All students that live in College-owned housing must select one of the residential meal plans. There are also meal plans available for students living off-campus. Some of the graduate assistantships available at the College include both housing and a meal plan as part of the assistantship support.

How do I get further information about immigration status?

Immigration status for Lynchburg College is coordinated through the Office of Enrollment Services (1.800.426.8101) and the Center for Global Education (Director Alex Akulli, 434.544.8688 or International students are encouraged to begin the process of receiving a student visa well in advance of the projected time of enrollment.

Please also note that Lynchburg College will need verification that the coursework you have completed at the undergraduate level is equivalent to a bachelor's degree program in the United States.

How many transfer credits are allowed?

Lynchburg College's master's degree programs allow up to 6 credits to be transferred into a degree program. The initial decision to accept courses for transfer credit is made after degree admission by the academic advisor who recommends approval to the dean of the respective school and the Dean of Graduate Studies. A transfer credit request form is available from the Office of Graduate Studies.

How long does it take to complete the program?

Full-time students can complete most of our master's degree programs in 2 years.

While the counselor education program is 48 hours for school counseling and 60 hours for clinical mental health counseling and will require a minimum 2 full years, several of the other master's programs potentially may be completed in 15 to 18 months depending on course sequences.

Students have a maximum of 6 years to complete their degree program. Further information is available from the Office of Graduate Studies, including a four-year projection for the schedule of courses. The DPT and EdD programs are three-year, full-time cohort programs.

Please check the appropriate program web pages for specific entry information as some programs such as Music and MBA begin in the summer terms.

When are graduate classes held?

The most common time for graduate classes during the fall and spring semester is one night a week, 4:30-7 p.m. or 7-9:30 p.m. In addition, alternative schedules in the fall and spring semesters include a limited number of courses which meet over a series of weekends (Friday night/Saturday).

In the summer, Lynchburg College offers a series of 3-and 6-week classes. 3-week classes typically meet 2.5-3.0 hours per day either in the mornings or in the late afternoons. 6-week classes typically meet twice a week in the late afternoons or early evenings. The DPT schedule reflects full-time (daily) attendance.

What support services are available to international graduate students?

Upon admissions to the College, students will receive support from their assigned advisor and from the Center for Global Education ( or 1.434.544.8688). In addition, information about various campus support services can be found online at the Orientation web page.

What transportation services are available for students?

Students can use the Greater Lynchburg Transit Company bus service with no-charge by showing their Lynchburg College ID card. The bus picks up at the main entrance of the College and also at Vernon Street at designated times and will take students to a limited number of locations in Lynchburg. A copy of the current GLTC bus schedule may be picked up outside the Office of Student Activities in Hundley Hall.

What if I want to bring my children with me?

Please see our website for detailed information regarding accommodations for international students who bring children.

What if I am I am interested in the MEd in Counseling program?

Please see special information for prospective international students in counseling.

How can I tour the LC campus?

You may arrange a guided campus tour. You may also visit our online virtual tour.

If I have other questions not covered on this list, how can I learn more?

Please contact or call the Office of Graduate Studies at 434.544.8383. We will either be able to answer your question or will connect you with an individual who can provide the necessary information. We look forward to hearing from you!