Questions to ask yourself…before you study abroad.
The questions below should help you narrow your options and select the ideal study abroad program for you.
Be sure to also talk about your study abroad plans with your academic advisor and professors.
- What are your academic/professional goals for a study abroad experience?
- What is your major and which programs best meet your major requirements?
- What is your cumulative grade point average? What is your average in your major? What are the G.P.A. requirements of the programs you are interested in?
- What foreign languages do you speak? What is the level of your fluency?
- Would you prefer to be taught in English or in a second language?
- How long do you want to study abroad – short term (spring break, summer courses), a summer, one semester, or a full academic year?
- Do you prefer a structured program or do you want to be fairly independent?
- Is the program accredited by Lynchburg College? Are the credits you will earn transferable to Lynchburg College?
- What do you know of the culture, customs, history, politics, religion, or economy of the country you’re traveling to? How can you best prepare yourself in advance?
- Do you want to live with a host family, in a dorm or in an apartment?
- Do you want to study with other Americans or a more international group?
- What classes should you take at LC to prepare for the courses you’ll take abroad? What cross-cultural activities can you become involved in at LC before you go abroad?