Undergraduate students attending Lynchburg College who seek dietary accommodations must qualify in keeping with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and its amendments. Qualifications and reasonable accommodations are determined by the Disability Services Coordinator (DSC).
- Apply annually for dietary accommodations through the Disability Services Coordinator:**
- If the student is not registered as a student with disabilities, he/she must register and qualify for disability services. The following components are required for the intake process:
- Complete the Disability Services Intake Form (PDF)
- Provide documentation from a qualified professional. Documentation criteria (PDF)
- If the student is registered as a student with disabilities:
- Notify the DSC of his/her intent to apply for dietary accommodations by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- If necessary, provide any additional documentation requested by the DSC to support a dietary accommodation request.
- This can be done at any time, but accommodations are not retroactive.
- Schedule and participate in an appointment with the DSC by calling 434.544.8339.
Note: Appointments should be planned well in advance of the end of each spring semester in order for accommodations to be approved for the next college year. This will help ensure availability and completion of the application, especially for students not already registered for disability services.
- If a student qualifies for dietary accommodations, a form is completed by the DSC and signed by the student and DSC. This form is submitted the Lynchburg College Dietary Team, who will assist you in implementing your dietary plan and includes Director of Dining Services, Director of Residence Life, Lynchburg College Nutritionist and Director of the Health Center. In some cases it may be necessary to consult with this team to make decisions on appropriate reasonable accommodations. Confidentiality will be maintained as to specific disability information.
- Students with approved dietary plans are asked to meet with the nutritionist as well as dining hall staff to develop an implementation plan specific to their individual needs. This plan will be distributed to the student and the Dietary Team.
- If a currently enrolled student wishes to seek accommodations for dietary disability for the next school year, they must complete steps 1-3 above prior to the end of the previous school year in order for any changes to be reflected in the billing process. Students who are not approved by this deadline will be billed a standard meal plan. Changes to this meal plan/billing will be implemented at the time of approval and are not retroactive.
- Documentation for temporary or acute disabilities must be regularly updated as appropriate to the nature of the disability.
If a student is found ineligible for dietary accommodations, a notification form is completed and submitted to the Lynchburg College Dietary Team. Confidentiality will be maintained as to specific disability information.
**Note: While suggestions for accommodations and service will be considered, appropriate services and/or accommodations will be determined by the DSC based upon information submitted through the Disability Services Intake Form, interview with the student and documentation/diagnoses.