Yale professor to speak on Calvin

Monday October 4 2010

 

Bruce GordonDr. Bruce Gordon, Titus Street Professor of Ecclesiastical History at Yale Divinity School, will speak on Scripture and Conscience in the Reformation: John Calvin and Sebastian Castellio on October 7 at 7:30 p.m. in Hopwood Hall Auditorium. The presentation is sponsored by the John M. Turner Lecture in the Humanities.

Dr. Gordon is a professor of Reformation history in the Yale University Department of History. A native of Canada, he taught from 1994 to 2008 at the University of St. Andrews, Scotland, where he was professor of modern history and deputy director of the St. Andrews Reformation Institute. His research focuses on European religious cultures of the late-medieval and early-modern periods, with a focus on the Reformation in German-speaking lands.

A prolific researcher and writer, Dr. Gordon has written more than seven books, twenty-nine articles and chapters, and has at least six forthcoming publications. He is the author of Calvin (Yale University Press, 2009), a biography that seeks to study Calvin's character, his extensive web of personal contacts, and the complexities of church reform and theological exchange in the Reformation.

His book, The Swiss Reformation (Manchester, 2002), was honored as an outstanding publication for 2003 by Choice magazine. The book studies the emergence of the Reformation in the multilingual world of the Swiss Confederation and its influence across Europe in the sixteenth century. Dr. Gordon earned a PhD at the University of St. Andrews (Scotland).

The John M. Turner Lecture in the Humanities was established in 1992 by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities and contributions from alumni, faculty, staff, and friends of Lynchburg College. The John M. Turner Distinguished Chair in the Humanities and the Turner Lecture were named in honor of Dr. John Mills Turner '29, English professor, dean of the College, vice president for academic affairs, and one of the most beloved and respected members of the Lynchburg College community for forty-one years (1933-74).