Thomas Brickhouse, PhD
- Professor of Philosophy, 1987-present
- Chair, Department of Philosophy, 1983-1986, 1989-1992, 1997-2001
- Associate Dean of the College, 1993 to 1996
- Co-director, Westover Fellows Program (Honors Program), 1987-89
- Associate Professor of Philosophy, 1978-86 (tenure awarded 1978)
- Assistant Professor of Philosophy, 1974-77
Degrees and Certifications
- PhD Philosophy, Vanderbilt University, 1974
- MA Philosophy, Vanderbilt University, 1972
- BA (cum laude), Philosophy and Greek, Washington and Lee University, 1969
Honors and Awards
- John M. Turner Professor in the Humanities, 2007-2011
- John Franklin East Professor in the Humanities, 1999-2006
- The Shirley Rosser Award for Excellence in Teaching, Lynchburg College, 1991.
- The James A. Huston Award for Excellence in Scholarship, Lynchburg College, 1984, 1990, 1998.
- Lynchburg College Nominee, "Outstanding Professor Award," Council for the Advancement and Support of Education, 1990.
- Lynchburg College Nominee (one of two), Commonwealth of Virginia Outstanding Faculty Award Program, 1990, 1989, and 1988.
- Machette Award for Excellence in Teaching as Graduate Student, Vanderbilt University, 1972.
- University Prize for Excellence in Greek, Washington and Lee University, 1966.
- Past East Professor of the Humanities.
Professional/ Research Interests
- Ancient Greek Philosophy
- Introduction to Philosophy
- Ancient Philosophy
- Philosophy of Law
- Socratic Moral Psychology, co-authored by N.D. Smith, Cambridge University Press, 2010
- The Trial and Execution of Socrates—Sources and Controversies, co-edited by N.D. Smith, Oxford University Press, 2002.
- The Philosophy of Socrates, co-authored by N.D. Smith, Westview Press, 1999.
- Plato's Socrates, co-authored by N.D. Smith, Oxford University Press, 1993.
- Socrates on Trial, co-authored by N.D. Smith, Oxford University Press and Princeton University Press, 1989.
- Articles, book reviews and conference presentations on Plato and Aristotle.
- American Philosophical Association
- Society for Ancient Greek Philosophy
- Southern Society for Philosophy and Psychology
- Virginia Philosophical Association